Client mode connection to hidden SSID

I'm running FreshTomato on the R8000 and have avoided using OpenWrt due to speed issues reported here Nighthawk R8000 Throughput Speed Issues

I did restore the R8000 to stock firmware and it works fine with hidden SSID so the issue is with FreshTomato and how it handles the hidden SSID

I will log this fault with the FreshTomato developer but there still should be a way to force OpenWrt to connect using WPA_Supplicant :woman_shrugging:

It's a bit of a weird expectation to want OpenWrt to work around a Tomato bug. I hope the Tomato guys can help you, since in the end all they got access to is binary blobs as well. The Tomato community is where you should look for a solution, now that it's clear the issue is on their end.

1 Like

As you can see here it responds to the OpenWrt wireless scan but won't connect yet other devices can so I don't think you can say for certain that it's a Tomato bug

I don't know a **** of tomato but if they are similar to OWRT and they use the softmac/hostapd stack, you probably can set the "hidden option" directly in to the hostapd config file o via hostapd_cli (instead of the wireless config file or UCI equivalent they could have)

You can explore two different options, changing the default value specified as "0" to "1" or "2".

# Send empty SSID in beacons and ignore probe request frames that do not
# specify full SSID, i.e., require stations to know SSID.
# default: disabled (0)
# 1 = send empty (length=0) SSID in beacon and ignore probe request for
#     broadcast SSID
# 2 = clear SSID (ASCII 0), but keep the original length (this may be required
#     with some clients that do not support empty SSID) and ignore probe
#     requests for broadcast SSID

ignore_broadcast_ssid=0

Source: https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/hostapd/hostapd.conf ("THE" source)

1 Like

So I eventually figured this problem out.

My FreshTomato Netgear R8000 AP was connected to OpenWRT TP-Link Archer C50 V3 on SSID "Bridge" channel 52 (5.260Ghz) and the connection would fail when the SSID was hidden.

I found that when connected to channel 36 (5.180Ghz) or 40 (5.200Ghz) the hidden "Bridge" SSID connects without issue.

I did notice that some client devices didn't like channel 52+ so I guess that also includes the TP-Link Archer C50 V3.

Hopefully this might help someone in the future :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like DFS being an issue?

2 Likes

When you mentioned DFS I searched the forum and found this which matches the channels I tested that hidden SSID does work, and the ones marked radar detection are the ones that don't work:

1 Like
  • I thought to mention DFS, but assumed the OP had set a non-DFS channel. The would definitely cause the issue
  • It could also be that the other device cannot use the other channels you set

Glad you got it working!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.