Cisco Meraki MX64/MX65 image support

Yeah nothing works removing the jumper makes the USB to TTL useless as windows doesn’t recognise it

okay I managed to get the device working again like now I'm getting internet through the Ethernet port on to my laptop but now I'm having an issue that is not booting into diagnostic mode and serial doesn't work only messed up characters when ist connected by serial on tried every possible solustion other than buying another USB to TTL converter and also I used a multimeter and check the voltage on J1 pin 3 it's 1.3v and pin and the rest of the pins excluding ground is 3V and my stupid USB to TTL doesn't allow me to use it without the jumper so it also spits out 3V so it goes against it I did try to use the onboard UART on the Raspberry pi but no luck so I don't know if it's my USB to TTL and can someone recommend me a good converter if you're wondering what I use for the USB to TTL its this
USB To RS232 TTL CH340G Converter Module 5v 3.3v Serial RX TX Programmer Project
and here's the link

@clayface me and @zerg91 can't boot into diagnostic mode nor boot from the USB so what should we do

What is the maximum size that my build can be?

Can I compile a file with everything I want?

There is a 1GB NAND available. The Meraki OS is still there which is taking up a lot of room. At some point I will have to cover removing this (and restoring to stock OS if necessary). As things are around 400MB is usable which should be more than enough. You can verify using "ubinfo -d0 -a" to check, add rootfs and rootfs_data to see how much you have available.

@clayface I guess my one is bricked because I and @zerg91 tried nearly everything to get into seral however he has OpenWRT installed and I don't so he can access serial and I'm still on stock so there's no hope atm try to boot into diagnostic the light flashes a few seconds pass and it goes into Meraki fw so yeah

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16l9bU65_zgo6_DhRzT3kg8YFRPJMmFhX/view?usp=sharing
@clayface @zerg91 @CM65 NO LUCK

Hi Team, My mx64 is an A0 model and has a locked mtd0.
Can someone tell me how to compile the firmware?
Should I follow the basic guide here https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/quickstart-build-images
using the clayface master branch https://github.com/clayface/openwrt

What settings would I use for target and options do these look correct?

• Target System” ⇒ “Select” ⇒ “ bcm5862x” ⇒ “Select”
  • “Subtarget” ⇒ “Select” ⇒ “Devices with small flash” ⇒ “Select”
  • “Target Profile” ⇒ “Select” ⇒ “mx64a0” ⇒ “Select”

You don't need the middle option, it isn't there. The rest is fine. You'll probably want to enable luci and some luci applications. You'll also probably want to run make with all cores:

make -j$(grep -c ^$ /proc/cpuinfo)

I have never done an openwrt compilation and I found it a bit confusing, I don't know exactly what to add and if what is chosen will give some problem and turn my mx64 into brick.

I will wait for someone to make a version that matches what this hardware can handle with useful functions

In the worst case you'd have to use an initramfs to boot via usb, then sysupgrade a working image which would result in loss of settings. The only dangerous part is flashing u-boot.

hi guys i had a little break and I'm back so I looked back at my notes and saw that my MX64 is the A0 variant so would it be that @zerg91 compiled OpenWRT if diffrent

You need to build the A0 variant image mx64a0. zerg91 image will not work for you

Following the instructions from Clayface I managed to build a workable image and my MX64 is now running OpenWRT.

I used python SimpleHTTP to server the files without issue using my Debian 10 build host.

I would note however that during the compile I ran into a few issues with luci and conflicts between openssl and wolfssl. I could not resolve these using "make menuconfig" instead I had to comment out the conflicts within the .config file. - WolfSSL seems to be the future so I kept this and disable the rest.

@clayface any luci applications you would recommend?

I am about to compile for my MX65 for testing.

1 Like

okay i realized that now the device isn't booting into diagnostic mode as I can see from these ports
Starting Nmap 7.91 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2021-04-05 15:48 GMT Summer Time

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.1

Host is up (0.00038s latency).

Not shown: 95 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE

135/tcp open msrpc

139/tcp open netbios-ssn

445/tcp open microsoft-ds

3389/tcp open ms-wbt-server

5357/tcp open wsdapi
and these ports are open when the device isn't connected to the Meraki dashboard so the problem is booting into a diagnostic mode so when I first was able to boot into the diagnostic mode I was able to flash the custom boot that @clayface gave so I don't know if the diagnostic mode is disabled as the uboot is different and updating the device wont change anything as Meraki hasn't updated the uboot version on the latest update so the issue is the device not booting into telnet nor serial however I was able to get into telnet briefly but then lines appeared and no longer working again so i really don't know the issue is but if someone has a spare device can you check if you can boot into telnet without OpenWrt installed

I can't always see this message and I don't know what to do

make -r world: build failed. Please re-run make with -j1 V=s or V=sc for a higher verbosity level to see what's going on
make: *** [/home/moliveira/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 1

Do what the error message tells you:

I did and even then in the process there are several errors and not complete.

I will wait to officially leave.

Just executing make with increased verbosity will not magically make the errors go away, but it will show more in detail where the error is.

Please do as instructed above and then post the relevant portion of the buildlog (not the complete buildlog, but also not just the line with the error; a good portion of the log before the error is needed).

Can someone help me connecting serial on the MX64 I don't know why it's not working I've done everything correct and still nothing works I'm on Merki firmware still so would that be the case as people on OpenWRT can access it without an issue message me on discord please if you can help.
rayboy777#9289