Cisco Meraki MX64/MX65 image support

I can't always see this message and I don't know what to do

make -r world: build failed. Please re-run make with -j1 V=s or V=sc for a higher verbosity level to see what's going on
make: *** [/home/moliveira/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 1

Do what the error message tells you:

I did and even then in the process there are several errors and not complete.

I will wait to officially leave.

Just executing make with increased verbosity will not magically make the errors go away, but it will show more in detail where the error is.

Please do as instructed above and then post the relevant portion of the buildlog (not the complete buildlog, but also not just the line with the error; a good portion of the log before the error is needed).

Can someone help me connecting serial on the MX64 I don't know why it's not working I've done everything correct and still nothing works I'm on Merki firmware still so would that be the case as people on OpenWRT can access it without an issue message me on discord please if you can help.
rayboy777#9289

For anyone who is interested, VLAN support on the MX65 is now working correctly across all 12 ports and can be configured using the recently added config bridge-vlan section (PR). This can be done in the network->interfaces section

Edit: I had previously posted incorrect information about how to set up the bridge that would not survive reboots. This version is correct.

1. In the Network->Interfaces section, click on the devices tab. At the bottom; Add device configuration... Create a new device , type Bridge device. Give it a name (I used switch0) and add the lan/wan ports you want to be in it.
    Screenshot

1. Then go to the Bridge Vlan filtering tab. Tick "Enable VLAN filterering". Click Add under VLAN ID and add the desired VLAN. You may want to first test with VID 1, PVID egress untagged. If you want the MX65 to participate in the VLAN you need to tick "Local" as well. Once finished click save once. If the window does not disappear, do not click save again. Click dismiss, then refresh the browser. Also do not click save & apply.
    Screenshot

1. Go back to the Interfaces tab. Remove all ports that were set up in switch0 from br-wan and br-lan. It may be faster in this case to delete both br-wan an br-lan.

2. If you need to participate in a VLAN you need to add configuration for the local interface. Click Add new interface... and select Software VLAN: "brx.VID" where VID is the VLAN you want to use. If you can't see this then refresh the browser and it will appear. Set up the interface however it will be used, DHCP server/client, firewall zone, etc. Don't tick bridge interfaces unless you have added USB wireless and want to use it on this VLAN.

Screenshot

1. You should have something like the below screenshot. In this case I have set up a DHCP client on vlan1 and a DHCP server on vlan10. Once set up click save & apply and hopefully it will now be configured successfully. You should also reboot and confirm the settings are maintained
    Screenshot

luci is currently a bit flaky so check at each stage the settings are being added to "unsaved settings". You may encounter settings disappearing on the "Bridge VLAN filtering" tab if you return to it, or after adding the vlan there is no software vlan interface available in the interfaces list. If this happens then refresh the browser and they should appear. Also if you make a mistake and lock yourself out, the settings should be reversed after 90 seconds.

Attached here is the image I am using for the MX65 which has various applications installed. You can use this for the usb image. This is still all for testing only and subject to change. Of particular interest is bridging and use of VLANs over all three switches (wan1-2,lan3-7,lan8-12) and trunks attached to the lan ports(lan3-10).

Thanks for your effort! successfully built and flashed my MX65 yesterday! now on to figuring out what Openwrt can do :slight_smile:
Only one problem, when I try to install other modules it complains and says that the build is different. Is that only going to get solved when the code is merged in the main repo? For now I should be alright, but if in the future will need to add modules - the whole recompilation process is long and tedious, would be nice to add those in the interface

For now you'll have to select the modules you need in the menuconfig. There is still some work needed at platform level before this can be merged.

1 Like

Hi again I'm still having issues with my MX64 and can't boot into telnet has there been any update or has anyone found a solution. and can someone show me how to connect serial to the mx64 on stock firmware because I can't get it to work.

Can this be used as an overpowered switch or is it currently missing functionality for that use case? Is the 2.5G SGMII interface addressable?

Yes, vlans etc working fine though a bit tricky with luci. See my earlier post

The SGMII interface is brought up by the modified u-boot. Just to note, the QCA switches are only 1G. I wasn't able to get > 1G between the b53 switch and bgmac.

Can you bond two to get 2G either the classic physical way or in software since their are two switches that support 7 ports each?

7x Ports, 5x PHY, MII/GMII/RMII, RGMII/SGMII,
1K MAC, 4K-tag VLAN, QFN 148-Pin
QCA8337-AL3C (IPQ8064)

Hi, thank you for sharing this. I successfully flashed a MX64w. Is there a possiblity to get WIFI to work?

Unfortunately not possible with OpenWrt.

1 Like

Does anyone use the mx65 strictly as a switch with bonded WAN ports to a secondary router, using the PoE ports for APs, and have the config?

This isn't really supportable currently since all other links (the QCA switch ports) will first be passed via the CPU port, which is 1G, for processing. I have looked at alternatives like bonding two links with one attached to each qca switch, but it is somewhat fiddly to set up and I'm not sure it can work anyway. I do have bonding configured off two ports but limited to 1G. I also had issues with luci-app-bonding and the bridge config.

For setting up a switch you can follow this post or I can send you a basic config. For PoE there is no config needed.

BTW were you able to get the MR42 running?

No. I was not able to. I will probably try again this week or weekend at some point.

So the WAN ports aren't actually 2x 1G then? So the only plus is failover scenarios?

It looks like the mx64 does the other scenario you're talking about in an officially supported way.

I also saw that the 65 may be able to be reverse PoE powered but not sure if it works on OpenWRT.

You could use mwan3 to achieve much/all of what is mentioned. Just getting speeds >1G is the difficult part.

Yes Openwrt doesn't change this functionality, but not all PoE supplies are able to work (eg an MX65 can't power another MX65, but an MX68 can power an MX65). When it does work, the other port can also be used to power a third device.

Could someone help me with getting my MX64 into diagnostics mode? Holding down the reset button has not resulted in a white flashing light. The only color it has changed to has been purple, and that goes away after releasing the button.

Can you attach a serial cable and check the output? I've not seen that one before.