Choosing correct router and VPN advice

Dear OpenWrt forum,

I would like to ask what are possibilites in my case. I want to buy and configure router to pass everything what is connected to it by VPN with dedicated IP function which can work without interruption for atleast 8 hours a day. (work from home office - I have bought VPN service already)

My actual router is Fritz!box 7590 which will be connected to the one I will buy. I haven't found any topics regarding this router what are VPN possibilites by itself, therefore I'm asking for easy way and buying something that can make life easier for me in this case.

• How fast is your internet connection?
    250Mbs

• Do you need Wi-Fi?
    For my case its non applicable that much, I need only phone with app tokens to login connected to it also with VPN

• Do you need Gigabit Ethernet?
    Yes, I want the laptop to be connected by Ethernet

• Do you need USB ports? How many? USB 2.0 or 3.0?
    Rather not, I don't think that it's necessary

• How many family members/devices must the router support?
    One laptop, one mobile device, nothing else

• What other services do you want? (Do you need VPN, media server, web server, etc.?)
    VPN

• Finally, please define your price range.
    My sweet spot for it would be between 30-80€ but I prefer as cheap as possible to make it work

I found TP-Link Archer C6 for 35€ but I'm open for your suggestions. Size of the device doesn't matter for me but if it could be small like TP-Link TL-WR902AC would be lovely.

With regards,
Patryk

want the VPN to max out your connection ? then you should read the thread below.
keep in mind openvpn will be slower using the same CPU/SoC.

If you want 250 Mb/s OpenVPN throughput you need a really powerfull router.
Much much better than a TP Link C6

My Netgear R7800 with dualcore A15 at 1725 Mhz does 85 Mb/s OpenVPN but it will do over 250 Mb/s when using WireGuard

From what I see MT7981/MT7622 based routers can do > 300Mbps Wireguard speed so there should be some cheap models can be picked with OP's budget.

Kind of suggests VDSL+super-vectoring (profile 35b) with 250/40 MBit/s, which is kind of a different ballpack than 250 MBit/s symmetric throughput (the maximum your VPN can ever attain would be limited by your uplink, 40 MBit/s, probably even less in practice).