Capturing autonegotiation possible?

Hi,

I have little problem with my home setup and want to try to figure out which part is the problem.

My setup looks like following:
ISP --> Fritzbox(provides Wlan and own subnet) --> OpenWRT(also provides it own Wlan and subnet)

Now my problem is that my fritzbox and my OpenWRT router set there ethernet speed to 1Gbit/s if i plug in the RJ45 cable thats the normal behavior, but after some hours it is set to 100Mbit/s, instead of unplug my cable(cause of lazyness) I force the fritzbox with the webui to set it on 100Mbit/s and re-set it to 1Gbit/s, that also solves the problem but if I have to do this multiple times a day it is not very amusing. OpenWRT and fritzbox are connected with a 3 year old cat 7 cable.
In my fritzbox I don't have settings like engery save mode or green mode.

And now finally the question, is it possible to capture(tcpdump or something else) if the fritzbox send something like re-autonegotiation and handles it to 100Mbit/s cause of inactivity or something else?

Regards
lucki1000

You may be able to see the negotiation results (but not likely the underlying information) in the standard syslog.

Have you tried replacing the cable?

Tried forcing 1gbit, and disabling autoneg using ethtool?

• are there any 10/100 MBit/s devices connected directly (not through an intermediary -external- switch) to your OpenWrt router?
  • please check the connectors and sockets between your f!b and the OpenWrt router for damage/ benting pins or dirt/ debris
  • if reasonably possible, please test a different cable between them

I thought about that too, but I want to delay it, because I would have to buy a new one.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I tried with this command:

ethtool -s eth0.2 autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full
Cannot set new settings: Not supported
  not setting speed
  not setting duplex
  not setting autoneg

but I guess i doesn't work on VLANs, and on eth0 it has no noticeable effect, the speed is unchanged.

For testing (confirming the cause), it might be sufficient to place both devices next to each other and to use a short cable (e.g. over night), to see what's happening.

Hi guys,

it really seems that the cable is the problem.

Thank you guys for help.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.