Capacity of routers: where/what to look?

later. Probably best done in docker or in some other kind of chroot as @slh mentioned above. The FB4020 only gas 128M of ram, vs rpi4 4G... and since its 32bit mips I'm not sure you can compile docker for it. (it's just very old in terms of compute power, it was probably very old when it was new - built using old cheap/cost efficient tech). It's definitely not enough ram for the controller

Thank you for your reply ! Sorry I wrote it in a confusing way, I was talking about Controller on Raspberry only. With FB4020 I was only trying to see if I can get openspeedtest.

In any case, when I get Rpi4, I should first do the things with OpenWRT, and when it's done, I should try to get Unifi Controller, then.

Now I realize, perhaps you meant that openspeedtest requires also docker, so it's a part of Rpi4 project, which is a nice addition. Is that right ?

Again, not a problem for a pi - an extra 10M speedtest image is considered pretty compact these days, .. but it might be a problem for fritz box.

Worth a shot I guess, perhaps if you could get it going maybe you could even turn it into an installable package.

Dear risk,

I just discovered that USB-Ethernet adapter (at least mine) doesn't understand VLAN tagging. (The Ethernet port of my laptop (Macbook Pro mid 2012) died about 2 weeks ago, so I got a cheap USB-Ethernet adapter. Now, someone threw away Cisco 866VAE-K9, so I was trying to find out how to use it, in the course of the attempt I wanted to create VLAN interface on my laptop, then I realized that it wont do it!)

It seems like USB-Ethernet adapter cant do VLAN generally, as I looked around on-line a bit, but for my recipe for RaspPi, it's going to be OK because it's only for WAN, and possibly an untagged VLAN, but the tagged VLANs are taken care of by the built-in Ethernet port, right ? Or is tp-link ue-300 as you specifically mentioned capable of VLAN ?
If USB-Ethernet adapter can't do VLAN, in case I want more than one tagged port for whatever reason, I would have to get a managed switch and configure it as you mentioned before ?

Hello. I don't know if it's true for all other adapters, but UE300 definitely does support VLANs as I've been using it myself for a couple of months with OpenWRT (in VM on x86 box) with my ISP providing internet on VLAN 20

Keep in mind that the x86_64 based PC Engines APU2 could be a contender for your current WAN speed as well.

MacOS / OS X LAN drivers were always wonky when it came to VLANs. I had various MacBook Pros 2008 - 2017, and messed with hackintoshes - it's a very picky OS.

I mentioned tp-link ue-300 because it's known to work well and not cause too much CPU overhead for USB processing like some others. It didn't occur to me VLANs could be an issue - because in my 15+ years of using Linux and messing with networking I've never heard of any adapter refusing to work with VLANs on Linux. Now that I think of it, I'm curious what Linux is doing differently compared to others to achieve that.

Dear all,

thank you very much for your replies ! Now I'm relieved !

I looked at Apu2, it seems a lot more expensive ! Since I got a nice recipe for RP4, I think it's good for now, it's challenging enough for me;;

The fact that MacOS is wonky about VLAN explains why it couldn't deal with trunk with an untagged VLAN and tagged VLANs. (at that time my Ethernet port was still alive) With this cheap adapter I'm using now, it took me a few hours to make my Mac recognize it. When my laptop dies, I will probably get windows with Linux: it's cheaper, and in Germany Mac seems inconvenient in various aspects. (I came from the US 9 years ago with my laptop.)

RockPro64 with Intel PCIe NIC (2/4-port) handles VLANs fine without breaking the bank although may need to look at another distro as the PCIe driver seems a bit unreliable in the kernel version/branch OpenWrt uses.

I am slowly into shopping for RasPi, meanwhile I am going to return Fritzbox 7590 soon, because I have a perspective of freeing a FB7530 elsewhere from her duty in the near future. I originally got a FB7360 for 17 Euro as I got VDSL100 (just to give myself some time to shop for a right permanent router), and I am going to put her back to duty meanwhile, till FB7530 becomes available for the position. Now, it has a low CPU, RAM, etc. I am wondering how bad it is to have it behind FB4020 or later RasPi. I was wondering, if the OpenWRT devices does all the thinking and work, perhaps it might be actually quite OK to have FB7360 behind it, aside from the possibility that Telekom might make her guilty of all kind of DSL problems ? Or would a weak uplink router spoil the potency of the downlink router ?
The motivation for buying FB7590 was instability in connection, but meanwhile I figured out that FB7360 was most likely innocent. (Just powerline and wifi) At that time just 4 of us were using internet, at most 2 video conferences at the same time.

I realized that I wrote something dumb: UniFi Switch Flex Mini isn't a PoE switch to provide power to something else;; I should be looking at lite 8 etc. And I should look for a splitter....