Can't seem to disable IPv6

Hi! following the advise from this thread I disabled IPv6 on the router, but my Linux Mint 21 box stills get an IPv6 Address, that's really weird for me.

I'm using Powered by LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch (git-22.213.35949-d09fbe0) / ArgonTheme v2.2.9.4 / OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19629-5e39f37caa custom build for my Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800

Any advise really appreciated!

Probably a link local IPv6 address your Linux box assigned itself. You could try to configure that box to not use IPv6 or given that IPv6 is becoming more and more ubiquitous/essential just figure out how to integrate that into your local network.

4 Likes

I usually build the image without the IPv6 servers (both) odhcp something are they called.

And turn off IPv6 settings in firewall and interfaces.

And remove the static IPv6 address thing in network settings.

Then it is gone.

In Sweden it is pretty much non existent and not even planned on infrastructure level. The government is angry about it but the ISP doesn’t give a shit about it.

1 Like

Never a good idea for business to anger their governments. But heck, I had expected better from at least boutique ISPs like bahnhof.se, no IPv6? do they really expect you to network "like animals"?

That said, I do have my own gripes with IPv6, but I accept that this is the "future" and not going to change in details just because I dislike (or misunderstand) some aspects of it, so I will adapt.

You mean the country where soon everyone has its own fiber to their home with how much speed up and down as you want?

1 Like

Yes, that country that apparently rests on its laurels :wink: parts of the internet (especially some endnodes) are only reachable via IPv6, so without IPv6, I wonder, how can an ISP claim to offer internet access?
But sure the invisible IPv6-only part of the internet is massively smaller than the IPv4-only part of the internet.
But what can I say, our rusty old incumbent managed to transition to full DualStack years ago, and I naively assumed Sweden would have been there way before us, after all Germany is a straggler in all things digitization (if you believe the local press).

P.S.: FTTH goals here for homes passed are 50% by 2025 and 100% by 2030; the first apparently is aiming too low (predictions are ~60% @2025) the second however seems to be aiming to high.... anyway >= 2030 is far from soon.

Well, disabled IP v6 on my box through a config file in /etc/sysctl.d but I get an IP v6 adress

$ sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
$ sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
$ sysctl net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

I'm really not sure I see the point of disabling IPv6 at all.

You received a link-local address, a ULA address, or both, but neither are routable and thus of no significance whatsoever. Why would you need to disable it?

Also make sure you disable IPV6 on devices (not just interfaces) and your firewall zones and then check to make sure you don't see IPV6: ifconfig

2 Likes