Cant get UPNP to work Please help I am new to OpenWrt

I have installed openwrt and I get this message just returning to linux after quite a few years need help thanks ahead of time!

Warning: Unable to locate ipset utility, disabling ipset support
 * Flushing IPv4 filter table
 * Flushing IPv4 nat table
 * Flushing IPv4 mangle table
 * Flushing IPv4 raw table
 * Flushing IPv6 filter table
 * Flushing IPv6 mangle table
 * Flushing conntrack table ...
 * Populating IPv4 filter table
   * Rule 'Allow-DHCP-Renew'
   * Rule 'Allow-Ping'
   * Rule 'Allow-IGMP'
   * Rule 'Allow-IPSec-ESP'
   * Rule 'Allow-ISAKMP'
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'wan'
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv4 nat table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv4 mangle table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv4 raw table
   * Zone 'lan'
     - Using automatic conntrack helper attachment
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv6 filter table
   * Rule 'Allow-DHCPv6'
   * Rule 'Allow-MLD'
   * Rule 'Allow-ICMPv6-Input'
   * Rule 'Allow-ICMPv6-Forward'
   * Rule 'Allow-IPSec-ESP'
   * Rule 'Allow-ISAKMP'
   * Forward 'lan' -> 'wan'
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Populating IPv6 mangle table
   * Zone 'lan'
   * Zone 'wan'
 * Set tcp_ecn to off
 * Set tcp_syncookies to on
 * Set tcp_window_scaling to on
 * Running script '/etc/firewall.user'
 * Running script '/usr/share/miniupnpd/firewall.include'

Ignore the message, you do not net "ipset" to make UPnP to work. Can you be more specific about what is the issue?

1 Like
1 Like

it is also showing me that there are no active redirects under upnp

You might want to restart miniupnpd and check the logs to see if there are any helpful error messages (and if you recently installed it make sure it is enabled).

okay how do I check the logs

If you're using a terminal you can use logread. Otherwise you should see a system log section under the status dropdown in LuCI.

I looked and at first it showed the device in zone wan forward when I restarted the firewall it doesn't say anything. it said miniupnp and showed the ip

sorry found it , here's what it says

Wed Aug 18 13:14:04 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[8507]: HTTP listening on port 5000
Wed Aug 18 13:14:04 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[8507]: HTTP IPv6 address given to control points : [fd60:d9b4:d295::1]
Wed Aug 18 13:14:04 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[8507]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Wed Aug 18 13:27:57 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[8507]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Wed Aug 18 13:27:58 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[13670]: HTTP listening on port 5000
Wed Aug 18 13:27:58 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[13670]: HTTP IPv6 address given to control points : [fd60:d9b4:d295::1]
Wed Aug 18 13:27:58 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[13670]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

The devices that are actually using UPnP will be in the MINIUPNPD chain, not zone_wan_forward. Or you can view them in Services->UPnP if you're using luci-app-upnp.

do you have to specify which devices need to use it , or can you point me in the direction of how to set it up I probably set it up wrong . and all docs are saying not to I only want my xbox ones to use it

No.

I only enabled it through luci-app-upnp (Services -> UPnP if installed) and enabled secure mode (clients can only request port forwards to their self). Secure mode should be enabled by default.

If you wish to restrict it to only your XBox, you can use it to restrict access to that. There should be a default "Allow high ports" rule you can use as an example (just edit it). Click edit next to the rule and change the "0.0.0.0/0" for "Internal addresses" to the IP of your XBox One and save & apply the new rule.

I want to thank you so much for helping, 1 more question
okay I put the xbox one in the rules yet the nat tyoe is still moderate doesn't make since also under chain zone it says miniupnp but the adress says 0.0.0.0/.0