Cannot access OpenWrt repeater

Hi,

I have a Fritz.box with official firmware as the main router and a Linksys WRT54G with OpenWRT which I was trying to connect as a repeater. I was following this guide in order to do so. Wifi on the repeater is disabled, however when I plug the Ethernet cable, all works well. The problem occurs when I try to finalise the setup and access it through the IP address. I can access the Fritz.box on 192.168.178.1 (using Ethernet connection through Linksys) but I can not access the Linksys at 192.168.2.1 (following the above mentioned guide), even though I set a static IP of PC to 192.168.2.10 and the default gateway to 192.168.2.1. The connection times out.
Any idea why and what am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any help.

I have found a few similar topics but non was like that and none included a solution to my problem.

Thank you in advance for your help,
strle

Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru

Hi trendy,

thank you so much for your fast response!
I assume I'm supposed to run the commands through the ssh login, correct? When I try the ssh root@192.168.2.1 command, I receive "Connection timed out" message.
I'm not even sure where to find the repeater's IP, I've looked at connected devices to Fritz.box but could not identify it. I've tried all IPs with no luck.
Really stuck here...

Hi

You can't use OpenWRT on routers with Broadcom chips as repeaters.

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the link to that article.
I’m a bit confused since the internet connection works well through Ethernet, so repeater mode should be working, right? I would just like to access OpenWRT on the device.

Yes!

You can connect from the wan side with the 192.168.178.X IP you have assigned to the AP.
Regarding the WRT54G, I had it some time ago and it can work as a wireless bridge. That is, the wifi can be client to another access point and be bridged to the lan. Maybe with another SSID as access point bridged to the above mentioned interfaces you might not need the relay at all.

I've identified the IP by plugging it into the Fritz.box and it's 192.168.178.57. When I try the ssh root@ command I receive a "Connection refused" message.
Thanks for confirming the bridge can work!

Edit: Entering Failsafe mode does not work either, the router boots up normally, even with the reset button being pressed.