Can I use my Intel Wireless 9260 with OpenWrt?

I have a Intel Wireless 9260 card and hope I can use to create VM which is using that Intel card. I only found the iwl8265 package but not the iwl9260.

is it possible or just too much work? If yes how can I add the firmware manually?

Thanks!

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi

In client mode, yes (as you noticed, you may have to supply the firmware yourself) - but probably only in client (STA-) mode. Intel usually doesn't support AP mode in the 2.4 GHz band - and never supports it in the 5 GHz band.

Yes, you need to install kmod-iwlwifi
But the firmware does not have a package yet in OpenWrt altough linux-firmware supplies it.
So adding a simple package here is needed:

i know that this post is old but i am just now dealing with this. can you explain in more detail how to add this intel.mk / 9260 support to openwrt? do you have re compile kmod-iwlwifi with this code before installing?

also, has anyone figured out how to use 9260 in AP mode at 5ghz?

You can just drop the firmware blobs into place (usually /lib/firmware), the driver will then pick it up.

No personal experience with AP mode on Intel cards, no idea if drivers support it either.

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Will be sticking to this thread.

AP mode for AC 5ghz 80 mhz on channel 149 works for me now on debian 10. One needs to disable and enable the wifi card while being connected to a router to get the proper country either US or DE and then enable the AP mode. See https://github.com/oblique/create_ap/pull/424

1 Like

hostpad.conf for 80 mhz channels. It seems to work only on 36 firmware for my AC 8265.

eacon_int=100
ssid=
interface=
driver=nl80211
channel=149
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
ap_isolate=0
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
hw_mode=a
ieee80211n=1
ht_capab=[HT40+][DSSS_CCK-40][LDPC][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40]
ieee80211ac=1
vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=155
vht_oper_chwidth=1
vht_capab=[MAX-MPDU-3895][RXLDPC][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][SHORT-GI-80][TX-STBC-2BY1][SU-BEAMFORMEE][MU-BEAMFORMEE]
wmm_enabled=1
wpa=2
wpa_psk=
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

Hi,
is this card "dual radio" - capable of simultaneous AP 2.4 and 5G?
Can someone post hostapd.conf with both bands?
Thanks