Builds for Linksys WHW03 V2 + V1

I don't know tbh, I don't have such device. But if you scroll further up, I know others have worked on support for v1, not sure if they've submitted a PR to merge with the master branch

Ordered myself an GL.iNet AXT1800 router for travel. This is the main thing why I wanted to start using OpenWRT. Shall stay at stock firmware at home on the WHW03-V1 devices until it's in the official repo.
Main thing of using OpenWRT at home would be to choose which node sends 2.4Ghz and which 5Ghz so I can force 5Ghz compatible devices to a wired velop and only activate 2.4Ghz on 1 node where older devices are in range.

1 Like

I'm using OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22256-14334c222e.

Everything seems to be working well.

Is it worth using Attended SysUpgrade to keep pace with the snapshots or should I just wait until the stable release?

Do the snapshots tend to contain security patches?

Should we expect more of the 512Mb flash to be available or is this a limitation with SNAPSHOTs?

If I wanted to wait for a release, what's the best way to be notified of that?

@flipy do you think that using your fix could solve this bandwidth issue in mesh?
I'm also experiencing some issues from day to day where websites does not open and I have to restart all linksys nodes :frowning:

I've got a used WHW03v1, tried @flipy 's build(s), just like others I couldn't save configuration, restored to vendor firmware. Shame it didn't work, the vendor firmware is crap - no multiple SSIDs, no VLANs, limited security options, etc.

Still hoping for some progress on this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did anyone ever reply?

Is this throughput mentioned by some anything like the weird behavior I'm experiencing (either with 21.x or 22.x Snapshots):

Scenarios without Mesh (just OpenWrt fresh installation)

• Laptop Ethernet -> Linksys WHW03 -> Router: 900Mb-Up/900Mb-Down
  • Laptop Wifi -> Linksys WHW03 -> Router: 100-200Mb-Up/100-200Mb-Down
  • Linksys WHW03 (python3-speedtest-cli via SSH) -> Router: 100-150Mb-Up/100-150Mb-Down

Scenarios with Mesh+Batman-adv

• Laptop Wifi -> Linksys WHW03 Main Node -> Router: 100-200Mb-Up/100-200Mb-Down
  • Laptop Wifi -> Linksys WHW03 Secondary Node Upstairs -> Router: 50-150Mb-Up/50-170Mb-Down

What's been a surprise to me is the fact that when SSH-ing and running Speedtest it gives me a poor speed, but then running it from my PC (speedtest-cli) connected to the LAN port, it's simply blazing fast.
I initially thought that it was because of the mesh setup, but then I reset OpenWrt (and installed it on other nodes) but the experience was the same.

I also tried the built-in speedtest from the original firmware on a node that wasn't flashed yet. Then the speeds went up to ~900Mb again, using the same cable and router.

@flipy does this description help with some insights?

1 Like

Hi @hecatae , this worked perfectly to me too. I'm planning to add those steps (with some additions) to the wiki (once my account is create), if you don't mind?

Go ahead I grabbed them from someone selling a debranding guide on eBay. :grin:

1 Like

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has a working build for the WHW03v1. I see that the v2 is merged, anyone working on WHW03v1?

Did you try this v1 build?

not this one, no.

do you have working version for WHW03V1

The link mentioned above by Comical works well - I have successfully installed on WHW03 v1

does this support settings persistence? or is it an initramfs build?

is anybody working on merging V1? or has anybody tried before?

thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for doing builds for WHW03 V2. I was facing buying new hardware because the firmware on these devices kept getting 'corrupted' or something after a few weeks of running. Installed OpenWRT on them and now they work beautifully and have no more crashing issues. Really love the control and configurability you can get with OpenWRT. Fully impressed! Thanks!

This is my WIP on merging WHW03 into v23.05. I don't have the bluetooth or other extras setup. The wifi and ethernet works. Should be a good replacement for the v1 firmwares posted so far. I have serious performance issues on v21 and v22 on the latest branches. They seem to be fixed in the v23 branch so that is why I did this.

4 Likes

I tried building from > https://github.com/protectivedad/openwrt/tree/whw03-v23
and it seems to work fine on my WHW03 V1. Unfortunately the option for 801.11r is missing in Luci even after installing the wpad-mesh package. Is there some package, library or dependency I am missing out?
Thank you.

I didn't think the 801.11r option was applicable for the mesh since they are all talking to each other. It shows up for the APs that my mesh point broadcast. I can't tell what you are missing since you don't mention all that you include, but I use the full wpad-wolfssl.