Building OpenWrt with 16 parallel jobs

Desktop board/CPU in a laptop?

No wonder you had thermal issues.

1 Like

yes, it was overheating, it is too loud, but i just wanted to try 17 jobs and finally in 2-3 days i tweaked totally.
i love my pure server with 7700k 32 gb ram, but come one 17 jobs is awesome. the only problem is ryzen 1700 has 17 jobs at 3.2ghz, the 7700k is running in 9 jobs at 4400 ghz.
so i am comparing.

i had to lower the jobs from 17 to 12 as it looks like it is not the cpu or overheating but for running 19 makes it just cannot figure out the order of builds. @jeff says his is good on 12 jobs so i am trying this.

it looks like i cannot beat the 7700k on 8 jobs, as 8 jobs is a perfect job count.

@jeff, which distro you build on?

i am thinking some errors are because on my server is debian and the docker is debian as well and is perfect, but my laptop is mint eg ubuntu and i build a debian docker, which could throw errors, now i am testing if i build raw (without docker) what happens with ubuntu.

Debian 9 for the last couple years. I haven't upgraded to 10 yet except on one, specific machine.

1 Like

Debian 10 will work just as well (I'm running my builds on Debian/unstable hosts), at least for setting up new systems there's little reason not to with it straight away (dist-upgrades should be scheduled according to your own needs, of course - there's a ~year of overlap for that, before LTS kicks in).

2 Likes

Ubuntu had 2 missing packages that were built on My Docker Debian builder on my Debian Testing.
But the result: Intel 7700k Debian host on Debian docker takes 4.5 hours, 8 jobs
Ryzen 1700 with 16 jobs 2 hours.

This is totally awesome. Ryzen rocks!

So, for building OpenWrt Debian is the best!
I only have to build on Ubuntu host, no Docker, because all errors were because the host was Ubuntu and container Debian and that was giving illegal instructions and segfaults (I am sure the different kernels etc).

This issue is resolved 100%.

And yes on the laptop I had to increase the fan blow but I did not even need 100% blow, was so loud, I set to 50% and it was not even loud and not overheating.

Thank you so much for the support!

1 Like

I'm also building it on Alpine Linux successfully :wink:

2 Likes

how many jobs do you use? :slight_smile:

I've only tried around 8 tops but it runs fine :wink:
The main reason I prefer Alpine is that the distro keeps pretty much everything update to date with upstream and is quite slim (little overhead) in general.

for me it was that got a Ryzen 1700 with 16 threads it is awesome to build everything in 2 hours. it used to be 16-17 hours in serial. now it is like nothing. it was worth working on it.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.