Build snapshot using default config for a device

Hi,

in order to get 802.11k & 802.11V working i try to build the snapshot for mikrotik HAP AC RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT
But even if i download the actual build .config and rename it .config when i run make menuconfig to add some package it's do not take account of the .config

git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
cd openwrt/
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.7/targets/ar71xx/mikrotik/config.buildinfo -O .config
make menuconfig

How to compile a snapshot and use the default config for my router? (the mikrotik HAP AC RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT is not listed on the make config)
Could you confirm that 802.11k & 802.11V is working in the snapshot (&do i need to checkout 21.02)?

You are mixing master branch source code with 19.07 branch build config...

Just start with an empty .config and use menuconfig to select your device, LuCI and other needed packages. There is no need to download the release (or snapshot) build config.

my device is not listed.
And i am not able to reproduce an equivalent config of the 19.07 branch config.
The 19.07 branch work for my device and here the most revelant config for my device config on the 19.07:

CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_mikrotik=y
CONFIG_TARGET_MULTI_PROFILE=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_rb-nor-flash-16M=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_rb-nor-flash-16M=""
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_rb-nor-flash-16M-ac=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_rb-nor-flash-16M-ac=""
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-64m=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-64m=""
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-large=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-large=""
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-large-ac=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ar71xx_mikrotik_DEVICE_nand-large-ac=""

ar71xx has been superseded by the ath79 target, that doesn't imply all previously devices have been ported over, as this is a manual process and almost as involved as the initial porting; someone will have to do this job or the device will remain unsupported. You're now at odds with a feature that's only available in master (and needed quite a number of changes to get there), for a device that's (apparently, I haven't looked deeper) that hasn't been ported over to ath79 yet and therefore isn't supported anymore.

The only sensible solution would be working on getting it supported on ath79 first, before going further and having a go with IEEE 802.11k/ v/ r.

2 Likes