Build for TP-Link TL-WR940N V4 [all versions]

so i put a switch in, ran tftp2 with the file in it. pushed the reset button until the router reset and hit the upgrade button at the same time on tftp2. 15 tries and nothing. what am i doing wrong? i have read a few different instructions on how to do this, and cant seem to figure it out.

Doroteo, i tried that, still nothing....i cant add more than 3 replies, so im editing this one.

just to be transparent, i've tried on both windows 10 and 7, i enabled tftt client in windows 7, i'm using the file from the top of this thread, i've tried changing my network adapter to 199.168.0.60 as well as let it find its own. none of it has worked.

Maybe your file name is too large, tp link recovery firmare must have a name like "wr940_tp_recovery.bin", so change the name, use google to fin the correct one.

Regards.

Can you please upload an image for me, I dont how to use the image builder and i need a 4MB image with wpad and wpa-cli ,

Hey all. So version 5 is identical to v4. Only works flashing via web gui though which is counterproductive to flashing many images fast via Tftp.

Apparently all that is needed to successfully flash via Tftp is changing the revision. Here is the serial log when one tries to flash via Tftp.

original_product_id = 155189253,     original_product_ver = 1
recovery_product_id = 155189252,     recovery_product_ver = 1
auto update firmware: product id verify fail!

What file can I change in the buildroot or mktplinkfw.c or whatever so I can flash via Tftp?

Tried flashing eu us and factory images to no avail on v5 via Tftp. Webgui flashing works Fine.

@jknee00 the reason why you can't flash tftp is above if you want to flash this router you need to do it via the web interface using the system upgrade image in version 5

ok sir ive downloaded a wr940n v5 firmware us...but my tplink is in v4 i tried upgrading to v5 from us region but still i got an error....

"Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."
i tried it with this wr940nv5_us_3_18_1_up_boot(170912).bin

Someone knows if it is really needed to be connected by cable to the router after the LEDE firmware install?
I'm trying to connect to the WR940N after a successfully firmware install, but I can't reach the web GUI.
I'm using another router to connect my computer throw the wifi to the WR940N.
Any help?

From the LEDE User Guide Wireless configuration section...

The wireless UCI configuration is located in /etc/config/wireless.

If the device has ethernet ports, the wireless is turned OFF by default. You can turn it on in /etc/config/wireless by changing option disabled '1' to option disabled '0' (commenting out the line is not sufficient).

Have you installed a snapshot or 17.01.4 image?

Thanks for all replies!

@jwoods How can I change the configuration if I can't reach the router? Neither via SSH.

@tmomas I installed the tl-wr940n-v4-squashfs-factory-eu.bin image since my router model is: TL-WR940N(EU) Ver:4.0

Obs.: I don't have a computer with Ethernet interface, so I have this right now:

Notebook ========== WiFi ========== Router ========== Ethernet (Cable) ========== TL-WR940N
192.168.178.26/16		192.168.178.1/16				192.168.1.1/24 (Suppose to be, Can't confirm)

The TL-WR940N is working, because I attached another device to it and I can reach this device.

You installed a snapshot image, which does not come with a GUI.

Change the LAN IP of your router in the middle to 192.168.1.2. Your PC should then get an address in the 192.168.1.X range. It has to be in the same range as the TP-Link.

@tmomas @mk24 Thanks a lot! Now I could connect and configure my router.
One last question: I configured the wireless, but I see the max rate as 216 instead of 450, someone knows what is wrong? Following my /etc/config/wireless file:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/qca956x_wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option channel 'auto'
        option country 'DE'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'SSID'
        option network 'lan'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'KEY'

450 Mb is only possible with a 40 MHz channel (HT40). HT40 usually is not feasible in the 2.4 GHz band because of signals from neighbors.