Build for Netgear R7800

@wireless: You made it with only GUI or need CLI beside?
Could you have some suggest on resources or procedure to follow?
Thank you.

You have PM.

1 Like

Just installed master-r15406-9aeaea471e-20210103 (ath10k-ct) and everything is running fine minus 2.4ghz network seems to not be coming up. QOS seems a little wonky but I think it's my cable internet company being shit again tbh. Any idea on causes for 2.4ghz to not come up?

Edit: I'm an Idiot.... 2.4Ghz is working fine now....

I'm running hnyman OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r15383-e1851720f1 from a few days ago on my newly purchased r7800. Everything is really solid, except for upload performance. Using DSLreports speedtest, I was getting 200 down and 18 up on my old WNDR3800 with a wired connection. Now with the r7800, I get 250 down (yay!) and 3-5 up with a wired connection. I have tried swapping out the ethernet cable to the modem for a new one and also reset the modem to be sure it has the latest MAC from the router. Any other ideas?

EDIT:
I tested back-to-back with my WNDR3800 and it turns out I may have an ISP problem. I got similar results from each device. This post can be disregarded.

Reasoning behind this statement? Just curious as my household is full of gamers and power users :sunglasses:

It is Less Lag

Via sqm or just overall? Do you happen to have this build saved so I can give it a shot? I hace quite a bit of bloat on my downstream unless I lower it to roughly a quarter of my bandwidth atm.

I am sorry. I'm not keep it. You can try to ask hynman. He might help you.

I don't believe Hnyman keeps his previous builds, are you still using this particular build?

I collected several versions and then experimented one by one (playing online games).

The version I am currently using is also constructed by hynman (R7800-master-r15207-c29f6121fd-20201213-2136-sysupgrade.bin)
, I think it is quite stable.

I don't keep old builds, as there would be too many. So far about 1000 builds during 4 years...

But to my knowledge there has not been that kind of changes lately, which would impact much on latency or bufferbloat.

But it makes sense to test SQM both with simple/fq_codel and cake/cake qdiscs.

1 Like

Unfortunately cake/piece of cake takes away too much bandwidth on my 450/23 line. I end up with about 150 on the downstream while the upstream maintains integrity and 90% throughput. Fq codel and simple end up with 30ms to 50ms excess bufferbloat.

Installed hnyman's openwrt build on my R7800 yesterday.
Unfortunately, I get very strange transfer rates compared to the official firmware (or Voxel's FW).

I tested the whole thing with two notebooks: A large file is transferred from the local Samba share via WLAN and cable.

Netgear/Voxels firmware
[Device 1] (866 Mbit/s Wifi Card)
Wired --> 1 Gbit/s
Wireless --> 656 Mbit/s (5 GHz) and 200 Mbit/s (2,4 GHz)

[Device 2] (433 Mbit/s Wifi Card)
Wired --> 1 Gbit/s
Wireless --> 336 Mbit/s (5 GHz) and 120 Mbit/s (2.4 GHz)

OpenWRT Hnyman Master AND Hnyman stable openwrt-19.07
[Device 1] (866 Mbit/s Wifi Card)
Wired --> 1 Gbits/s
Wireless --> 448 Mbit/s (5 GHz) and 88 Mbit/s (2.4 GHz)

[Device 2] (433 Mbit/s Wifi Card)
Wired --> 1 Gbits/s
Wireless --> 304 Mbit/s (5 GHz) and 88 Mbit/s (2.4 GHz)

Measurements with iperf on device 2 give strangely identical values with openwrt and Voxels firmware (336 Mbit/s at 5 GHz).

Do I have to change anything in the configuration so that the file transfer is at a similar level as with the original firmware (or iperf)?

Especially the performance with 2.4 GHz WiFi surprises me since both devices had identical values although device 1 has the faster WiFi card installed.

Wait wait wait, I cant go beyond 650 Mbps with last build on both of my r7800s on a gigabit line... and I have understood that this is the max you can obtain without using the sleeping NSS cores which are actually only activated in another build made by ACWifiDude... so, how do you reach that speed? :open_mouth:

Psst... the secret of OpenWRT is that most builds are broken. If you get the old hnyman build of "r11167", and insert these lines into "local startup" window, you'll get speed in 850-950mbps. And it's stable.

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_min_freq
echo 75 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
exit 0

Lovely.... Talk shit about the project you also use...

1 Like

I'm being helpful. You're not.

I fixed the very specific problem that needed your workaround... LOL
Also we are a community that works for free... Reading 'most of the OpenWRT build are broken is disgraceful for devs that works on the project.

6 Likes

Will this help with the low bandwidth issue when using cake/piece of cake?