Build for Netgear R7800

You should probably talk about that with Ansuel & others in the NSS thread, and get some PRs done. E.g. start with the non-NSS DTS improvements (possibly required for NSS) & NSS core stuff.

(Ps. My intention was not to turn this build thread into NSS discussion, but I just answered a question from wireless here)

2 Likes

(my 2 cents)
I disappeared for some days as I'm very full of exams to study....
Anyway @hnyman Do you think openwrt would accept not enabled stuff? It would be very good to have upstream the core nss stuff... The missing reset, the core handler and the dts part. At least it will be something.
About nss integration is that dsa doesn't really work so well with nss and to use nss we should use a dedicated gmac driver (not the upstream one)

And i think that with 5.10 we will switch to dsa since qca8k looks to be decent now.
End OT and sorry.

I think that those might be accepted, if reasoned well in the commits & PR. They can be seen as optional drivers etc.

Are you guys crossing your streams?

Sysupgrade to hnyman master-r15362-e1938d3397-20201228 and I have uHTTPd installed with the default server host name of KONG

If you sysupgrade with "keep settings", you naturally have the old names there. My build has the normal default hostname OpenWrt in /etc/config/system

Strange I've been using your builds solely for the longest time and I've recovered from a few bricks with your factory images along the way. I must misunderstand how factory images work then.

If you install the factory image via tftp, or the sysupgrade image via sysupgrade without keeping settings, you get the defaults.

There is no functional difference between factory and sysupgrade images. Factory is just compatible with OEM flashing tools (tftp or OEM GUI flashing). And sysupgrade is compatible with OpenWrt flashing routine.

1 Like

Ahh so my config backup must have the old Kong uHTTPd config from ages ago.

edit: Confirmed that is what happened.

So sad. CT firmware never worked well for my clients and .022 is no exception :frowning:

2 Likes

@hnyman
I am new to your FW.
My questions:
Did wireguard work on your FW smoothly?
I am using newest KONG's, can I just switch to your FW by flash yours upgrade bin?

I had config several Rpis with PiVPN very smoothly wireguard but I can't do with KONG's and I prefer WG run on R7800 instead of Pi.
Thank you.

happy new year

i have had the latest CT firmware for a month now. most clients run great in 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi. with two iphones i can reproducibly prove very slow connections (<5Mbit/s) in 2.4ghz. I test with iperf3. Since other apple phones are running fine i always thought it was a problem with these 2 phones. But now I test the "old" mainline ath10k firmware and everything is fine.
(i just tried because wired posted that CT firmware never worked well for his clients, and yes that seems to be true for me as well :frowning: )

As I am quite new to this topic I am currently stuck on the following points:
-Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find the differences between the ath10k and ath10k-ct drivers.
-The connection strength to my devices is very good, how can I best draw conclusions why these two iphone phones in particular are so slow?
-What tool can I use to find the noise of the clients/router?

There is no clear listing anywhere. Mainline ath10k is what is in the main Linux upstream (somehwat stale), while ath10k-ct is more maintained by CandelaTech and more actively debugged/maintained, both for the firmware block and the driver part.

But please take ath10k variants comparison discussion somewhere else, as it has not much to do specifically with my build. Same goes for generic wifi debugging.

1 Like

I am not using it myself, but I see no see no reason why it wouldn't work. There is no tailoring regarding it.

Likely yes.
(unless he has modified something in a major way, which I do not believe. I have not test his build, so I have no direct knowledge)

1 Like

On the stable 19 builds I use wg myself. On the trunk build you may have to explicitly set port numbers.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try again.

FWIW, my problems are with 2 MBPs and a Nest E thermostat. It's not like these are weird or uncommon devices. I reported the bugs to the CT repo but unfortunately there seems to be only 1 developer behind it and it's hard for him to get all the hardware people have issues with.

You can try replacing only the firmware, but still use CT builds and the CT driver. The firmware goes in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin. I find firmware-5.bin_10.4-3.10-00047 to work best for me. I just keep it in /root and symlink to it after I flash a new OpenWRT version.

1 Like

Thank you hnyman und wired!
As requested I keep this thread clean with these topics. Wired your solution is suitable for me

Hi, I've easily configured and tested it, works well. (I dont remember exactly what version, but one the last).

1 Like

just last OT, of course @ACwifidude, @Ansuel feel free to ask to install experimental build, I have a spare r7800 just for testing.

HNY man to hnyman! Keep up the good work!