Build for Netgear R7800

In the Netherlands they are around 50 euros second hand.
For reference, Zyxel WSM20 3-pack(!) is 80 euros on amazon.it and amazon.es.

1 Like

Wow, that DL-WRX36 you linked seems oddly cheap for an ipq807x device. It's $80 USD on Amazon. It has 2.5Gbit, WiFi 6, 1GB ram, and USB 3.0 port. Cheaper than an R4S. Not bad looking either the way it hides the antennas. Am I missing something, or is this a great option for an all-in-one OpenWrt device moving forward?

3 Likes

That is now my main device...
Good enough.

(I currently build for the R7800 less often than earlier)

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: DAWN and R7800

I am a complete noob, is there a way to just load this into luci?
Or any like guide step by step, im not sure what or how to start

Dear Zahid,

How do I upload firmware to my NETGEAR router using a TFTP client on Microsoft Windows

hnyman directions below :

R7800 has an easy-to-use TFTP recovery mode

Quite similar process as e.g. WNDR3700, which is documented in the Openwrt wiki:

Click on the links above and read carefully and you should be good to go
It is all well documented and pretty straight forward of a process

You can use this method to flash OEM firmware and OpenWRT factory images

If you wish to use sysupgrade.bin - then you can flash this through Luci
You can look that up or someone will help you out with that
I always use Philippe Jounin Tftpd64 in order to revert to OEM stock firmware and then flash fresh OpenWRT factory.img

You should be able to download the OpenWrt factory image to your PC, and just use the OEM firmware GUI flash routine for flashing OpenWrt.

(Later, when upgrading OpenWrt next time, you will use sysupgrade image in LuCI.)

And like directnupe mentioned, there is also the OEM TFTP routine that can be used for (recovery) flashing, but is usually not needed at all.

I recovered back to stock Netgear firmware, so i have managed to TFTP Flash, so you are saying this way i can use the R7800-owrt2305-r23314-7efec0acca-20230805-1412.config and flash it like recovering and that will have the proper set ups? now i just change my country code and it should work? i literally bought the r7800 and figured i can learn this but it seems a little more complicated, there isnt like videos anywhere lol

Dear Zahid,
Regarding R7800-owrt2305-r23314-7efec0acca-20230805-1412.config
If you are on stock Netgear firmware - then you need to

1 - Use the factory.img in order to flash to OpenWRT - hnyman's latest stable build

2 - You will always need to use the OpenWRT factory.img when coming from Netgear stock.

3 - To revert to Netgear Stock - you use the file below - unzip the file and use R7800-V1.0.2.92.img implementing the same Philippe Jounin Tftpd64 method mentioned earlier

Firmware Version 1.0.2.92

R7800-owrt2305-r23314-7efec0acca-20230805-1412.config is a text file basically used to help build / compile hnyman's build from scratch - you do not ever flash any file via Tftpd64 - except an .img file

As hnyman stated - and I told you earlier - from Luci Webgui ( while on OpenWRT obviously ) - you can use the sysupgrade.bin file for OpenWRT version upgrade. You upload the sysupgrade.bin file on / through the Luci Webgui - there is readily available documentation as to how perform this operation.

No shade intended - but as you are new to OpenWRT - I assume that you are not going to be compiling / building OpenWRT right now - so you need only concern yourself with factory.img and sysupgrade.bin files for your R7800

Lastly -

now i just change my country code and it should work?

I imagine so - after you flash from Netgear stock to OpenWRT using the
R7800-owrt2305-r23314-7efec0acca-20230805-1412-factory.img mentioned above

TIP :
I normally shorten / edit the file so there will be no issues while flashing the firmware - see below

R7800-owrt2305-r23314-20230805-factory.img

I hope all of this has you on the right / correct path and Good Luck

It's also a good idea to hard reset the router before and after Tftpd64 flashing

YouTube hard reset R7800 router

1 Like

I was on testing rt3200 and now back to r7800 as i feel r7800 is too good with hnyman build, I'm facing a weird issue, 2 of my smart devices not seeing 2.4ghz , though they were fine with rt3200 , just for testing, i used mobile hotspot 2.4ghz and they are readily connected

What could be reason ? Am i missing out something

Devices support only 2.4ghz and I'm desperately looking for help for r7800 2.4ghz wifi

One more thing to mention here, I've no control over devices as in logs or even they see 2.4ghz and not connecting, or not seeing 2.4ghz from r7800, I'm all blind in this scenario

@hnyman

New to the community...

I used your build for my R7800 and have been enjoying the experience. However, I was testing my speeds and noticed that the wired connection, Modem>Router>PC, was slower than before.

-Previous hardware would get me approx. 600 wired
-Current R7800 with your build averages 315 wired
-Downloaded and installed ACwifidude's build and my R7800 now gives me 600

I tend to troubleshoot my own problems and have a good success but I'm afraid this is out of my scope of knowledge.

Acwifidude build includes the experimental nss hardware acceleration, I think.

Builds with kernel > 5.10 appear to have a bug which severely limits performance for IPQ806x

My build which has a workaround for this bug and does 800 +Mb/s

A solution is in the works

5 Likes

Do you share your build? Do you have a link?
I'm currently back on v21.02.7 because that's the last one without any speed issues.

1 Like

Is it something that I can add when building my own? Is there a reason you don’t add it to yours? I don’t want to mess anything up.

Also, I’m attempting to install kmod-ipt-nat6 but it says the kernel dependencies aren’t compatible. I’m aware that I would have to install it when I build my own image. Is there a reason not to install this with your build?

I am keeping my build close to the baseline OpenWrt, so I have not taken the NSS approach.

Check his thread for NSS info...

There is a solution in the works.

I am travelling at this moment but when I am back I can make some instructions to make your own build.

2 Likes

Thanks for the sysupgrade patch. This should fix the issue on my R7800 as well.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Was this patch supposed to resolve the network performance issue? Because I have just pulled from git and built OpenWRT 23.05 latest for my Linksys EA8500 today and I do not see any difference. Gigabit Ethernet throughput measured with iperf3 is still at 230 Mbit/s