Build for Netgear R7800

Dear hnyman,
Thanks my Brother - I truly appreciate that information. Stay safe and God Bless in these times of ours.

I bought a R7800 router to use with hnyman's build (It's a very good job, thank you!) for my gigabit fiber internet. (Sorry for my English... :neutral_face:)

I use the owrt1907 stable version, and I find that the wired (WAN—>LAN) NAT throughput (with software offloading) is sometimes lower than the expected (hoped), it changes between 450Mbit/s and 870MBit/s in a few hours. But when I connect my PC directly to the ISP's router, I always measure about 950Mbit/s download speed.

The CPU core utilization is very weird for me. When the speed is high (870Mbit/s), the CPU cores are almost fully used (mostly soft-irq), but when the speed is very low (less then 500Mbit/s), the CPU cores are used in 40-50%. Why? What can happen in router in this time? What can cause a slowdown?

Is there any way to stably reach the gigabit internet speed (minimum 900Mbit/s) or is this the maximum performance that can be reach with OpenWRT on this router?

1 Like

do you have sqm enabled?

I don't use SQM (and it is disabled by default).

Try switching to the performance cpu governor as a troubleshooting step and testing again. When I was testing the schedutil governor I noticed it didn't always ramp up to the full clock speed when needed. The default ondemand governor seemed to ramp up fine in my case, but it may still be worth trying performance to see if that helps.

If the issue is irq, you might try enabling irqbalance to spread the irqs between the two CPU cores. Be sure to test again after each change to help isolate the root cause.

I’d check out the r7800 performance thread for some performance specific tweaks to optimize hynman’s build.

Thanks for the ideas!
Viewed in htop, there is only a minimal (maximum 10%) difference between the two CPU cores. And during speed test the CPU core clock frequencies always are 1725 MHz (also in ondemand mode), but the CPU percentages have decreased (when the speed is lower than the normal).
So i don't know what limits the download speed more or less at times.

Thanks for your reply!
I already tried to tweak the CPU but I couldn't increase the download speed.
The NSS hardware offloading sounds very well, but I don't know how stable it is or what its disadvantages are.
The hardware offloading would be very useful...

Your ISP?
There is less traffic, so the router is not fully utilised and is not the bottleneck ?

I'm trying to install SAMBA4 offline with samba4-server_4.13.3-2_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk over the browse option in luci software menu (to setup a NAS this weekend).

but I'm getting this:

New to hnyman's build. Working great so far.
How frequent are the ath10k version updates?

Maybe 1-2 times per month.

The main build is the current default ath10k-ct, which I build much more often.

I reach 970Mbit/s on an older hnyman build with SFE enabled. But then, my 5ghz band is turned off.

I built today master-r15592-96017a6013-20210123-ath10k

Ps.
both the ath10k-ct and mainline ath10k builds from today contains the fix for the bugs in the new dnsmasq 2.83, as discussed in

Probably you're right.
Because now I tested the NAT throughput of the router with two PCs (without ISP), and although I measured different values between 680MBits/s to 910MBit/s, but this values just depend on which network interfaces (adapters) are used and in which direction. So the router is able to transfer (NAT) in both direction at a minimum speed of 910MBit/s.
I don't know exactly why I measured about 950Mbit/s directly with ISP's router (and significantly less with my router) every time... But my router (and the firmware) works well.

I think, I make my ISP switch their ONT device to bridge mode (with PPPoE), maybe it improves the speed. Currently, I use it in router mode with DMZ.

Thanks for help! :smiley:

P.S.
While I tested the router with this owrt1907 build, I found a minor issue:
If I open a lots of TCP/UDP connections (200-300) and then click on the Realtime Graphs/Connections tab in the router's web UI, it will not be able to display the connections ("No information available") and will crash. To use again the web UI, I have to restart the rpcd service. (I haven't tried this with another version yet.)

Great. Thanks!
I actually switched to your build (from KONG) because of the ath10 non-ct version.
I'm pretty sure my WiFi for iOS devices is wrecked because of the ct driver issues.
Anyway, working great so far. Thanks for all your work!

Am I correct in understanding that "owrt1907-r11282-d816c6cd31-20210121" (which has the DNSpooq fix) doesn't need the performance governor hack in startup?

Or does that only apply to cutting-edge "master" builds?

None of my build use the "performance" governor by default. All use the default "ondemand" governor.

I have slightly tweaked the scaling ramp up percents for ondemand in master and in 19.07. (I have a 200 Mbit/s connection, so I do not need to run at the router at the full speed all the time.)

The scaling governor settings can be tailored by users themselves via scripts, so if you have a gigabit connection, just adjust the settings as you wish.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @hnyman. I see that "owrt1907-r11285-11f4918ebb-20210124" is out. Is the "FIXED FIX" for DNSpooq is in this build? The one without errors in system log.

If not, is it present in "master" version of your build?

Yes. My 19.07 build from yesterday contains the dnsmasq fix, (as can easily be seen from the commit hash and OpenWrt source repo)

1 Like