Build for Netgear R7800

Starting slightly before master-r15151 at least for me 5GHz stopped working (channel 64) with the following EM:

hostapd: DFS start_dfs_cac() failed, -1

I've had similar issue but on channels 100 and 112. I'm back on master-r15026 from 11/24 and that works for me every time.

I noticed on the r15026 build where it is working I have kmod-ath10k-ct installed but not on the recent masters where it is not working. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but did notice a reference to this kmod-ath10k-ct in another thread.

I just built a new image based on the current master, and it's more than twice the size (~70MB) than the image I built 2 months ago (~30MB). Same config / same packages. Any idea on how that is possible? I think the kernel update alone can't possibly be responsible for an increase of this magnitude!?

No idea, and you are quite clearly not talking about my build (which this thread is about).

The size of my build is about 10 MB. And there has been no recent change in size. I last compiled it two days ago.

I suggest that you start from a clean .config and rebuild the config, or preferebly use just a short .config recipe like I do. (Full .config can get accidentally large due to dependency changes. But I do not recall recent dependency changes that would trigger that kind of changes)

I'm not talking about your exact build, but I use your build as a base and then select more packages as I need them. So I thought that you might have some insight about an increase of that base image size. Thanks for your suggestion!

do you have samba4 inside?
it is the only package that created me this sort of problems.. it is somehow related to build debug information, there is a specific option in the menuconfig to disable this

Yes, I have the samba4-client package selected. But there are no options on that package that allow any kind of configuration. So, do you refer to some global debug options? There are many, so it would be nice to know the specific ones you disabled.

yes, it's a general option.
as far as i can remember, it's in global build settings and it should be the "compile packages with debugging info", but it's been a while (i'm no longer using samba4, since ksmbd for me is more than enough)
btw, in the long (long) samba4 thread it is specified, you just need to find it :slight_smile:

1 Like

using r15151

the bandwidth monitor doesnt seem to accumulate data between commit intervals?

Just wondering - is there any r7800 specific feature only available from master build vs the 19.07 branch?
I mean I know the difference of bleeding edge vs stable branch, but if anybody can point few r7800 things only available in master, it would be great. Thank you.

Dear hnyman ( and / or other NightHawk OWRT Mavens ),
Hello and I hope that you are safe and well. I am coming from Davidc502 Builds as he seems to be on a hiatus for his own personal reasons. Subsequently, I bought a NightHawk r7800 and figured that I would give your firmware a whirl. Your Builds are rock solid and perform in a truly outstanding fashion. Thank you for your time, dedication, and expertise in maintaining support for this router.
I am currently running r15151 and I have no issues whatsoever. However, when I installed r15198 ( the current build ) - it seems that I can not get the wireless on either ( 2.4 or 5 GHZ ) to work and connect. If you ( or someone ) would be kind enough to point me in the right direction to get the wireless up and running ; I will be most appreciative. Driver defaults - coverage density - channels - transmit power - all of these recommended settings would be helpful.
I love this router and your firmware - I expect that I will have a minimal learning curve because as I said earlier - I ran Dave's firmware for years. So - it is great to be a member of an OpenWRT Community once again with a kind, responsive knowledgeable leader at its forefront. Thanks for that hnyman.
Peace and Stay Safe

There aren't much anything that is specifically for R7800 and different between 19.07 and master. Different ath10k version etc. are maybe the largest difference. There has also been some work in the hardware DTS, but those do not show much actual difference in normal use.

Well, I am currently running the current one, r15204, and have no problems with the radios.

The OpenWrt master is under constant development, so it is quite possible that every now and then there is hiccup with some specific router/client/settings combo. But I have not noticed much problems lately myself.

If r15151 works for you, just keep copies of it and revert to it, if needed.

Dear hnyman,
Thanks for your swift and helpful advice. I have a question for you. Is there a repository that you maintain anywhere for your prior builds? I ask this because I am brand new to your builds as I said previously. So - where can I get my hands on r15204 let's say ? Once again - thanks for all your work - and I will keep copies of your firmware which I am able to get up and working to my liking and skill level as you suggest.
Forgive me if I am off base as to your beliefs - but do have a Happy Holiday regardless. We are all one people and I celebrate everyone.
Peace and God Bless You and Yours - Always In Peace and Grace

No.
I build every few days, and usually only the newest is available at the download site. There might be the previous one, but I am not keeping a public archive. It is up to you to keep an archive of the builds that you flash.

r15204 is the newest one, so it is naturally available from the Dropbox site linked in the first message of this thread.

Dear hnyman,
Thanks once again for taking the time and patience in order to get a newcomer up to speed when it comes to the manner in which you conduct your business so to speak. It is always good to know the rules - so that was the rationale for my questions. I will keep the copies of the builds as you suggest. And thanks for pointing out my oversight in missing r15204. Also - the information regarding the frequency with which you add new builds is very good to know. My gratitude can not be overstated for your overall attention and demeanor in running this thread - and making your builds for all of us here.
Peace

Well, according to my logs it has been 878 builds since 20 Nov 2016, when I stated this thread.
That means roughly a master or stable build every 1,7 days :wink:

(I have only edited this thread's first message 690 times, so not all builds have ended up advertised here)

Ps.
Yeah, and so far my router's flash has survived the frequent flashing ok :wink:

1 Like

So it seems both master and 19.07 have ath10k ct variant, is that right?
Meaning master has just newer version of the same driver & firmware?
Assuming the ct variant is superior to the plain ath10k driver.
Is DTS implemented in both 19.07 and master, but only in master is hw based?
Where would you say DTS support is more complete/stable?
I guess DTS feature could be useful to potentionaly be able to use more 5GHz channels.
I tried to measure throughput of 19.07 and I am quite surprised to see it is on par with stock firmware - I assumed that NAT offloading is not implemented (yet) with openwrt or is it?
So I wonder if I did the measurement right.
Or is cpu that fast to do 1Gbit NAT?

Please take performance questions to the generic R7800 exporation thread, which is better suitable for those topics.

But shortly,

• yes, both master and 19.07 use ath10k-ct by default. For master I also build the mainline ath10k for comparison.
  • Both 19.07 and master use DTS, which you can easily see from source code. Like I already said to you in my previous answer to you, there has recently (=this year) been some DTS work in master, so it is slightly different.
  • DTS (DeviceTree) has nothing to do with 5 GHz wifi.
  • There is not much real-life difference in performance between master and 19.07.
1 Like

Ah, sorry, my misunderstanding, I assumed DFS in place of DTS.
So if there is no r7800 specific significant difference between 19.07 and master - can you mention some general feature available in master only that might be worth to consider to choose master instead of stable branch?