Build for Netgear R7800

The ones that are preconfigured for opkg, openwrt-19.07 and master don't have any form of binary compatibility, nor ABI tracking to begin with. Mix- and match would have disastrous consequences (aside from carefully selected, very simple scripting packages, where this may work by chance).

1 Like

Like slh said, use the repos configured in the build.

There are no static 19.07.2 package repos to except for kernel packages. Normal packages are rebuilt also on 19.07 if new package versions are backported there.

(Or there actually is a 19.07.2/packages download dir, but it is just a symlink to the 19.07 snapshot dir)

1 Like

@hnyman & @slh Thanks! Router was restarting after a day or two on stable build and not sure what the cause is.

Yes, 19.07.2/packages and 19.07-SNAPSHOT/packages are the same.

I made an account to thank @hnyman for this awesome build and to share my experience.

I have a DSL connection with terrible bufferbloat, and in the process of researching the problem I heard about (and installed, a couple weeks ago) the @hnyman build of OpenWrt on my Netgear R7800 specifically to get access to Piece of Cake SQM.

My connection, which produced an "F" for bufferbloat on dslreports 100% of the time with the stock router firmware, is now producing A's across the board most of the time. The difference is incredible. I work from home and now virtual meetings are actually working fine instead of being a very painful experience any time I would attempt to present (most of my bufferbloat issues were on the upload side, sometimes resulting in bufferbloat of over 3000ms!).

I work in the software field but have zero experience with routers and with custom router firmware. Just want to add my experience here and let everyone know that my install went smoothly and quickly and has worked perfectly well--really a huge improvement over the stock experience in every way.

5 Likes

First of all, a big thank you to hnyman for his great effort, I've just installed the latest release, owrt1907-r11007-55312cc202-20200418

No doubt that all the features I found with OpenWRT in comparison with stock firmware are incredible.
But, I can't understand why the file transfer through WiFi from my laptop to NAS with stock firmware is around 20-32 MB/s but with OpenWRT is just 5-6 MB/s...

I left the WiFi settings pretty much their default values, and was wondering if there is anything I could tune to improve the speed...

Tia.

1. If possible move to 5 GHz with 80 MHz band width.
  2. Check my other post: Slow 5 GHz downloads on R7800

Thanks, but I give up, I can't figure out what else to do...

hi,

in the dropbox, the config files, we can upload that to the new flashed image?

No, that is the build config that has been used for compiling the firmware.
That is meant to be advice if you want to build firmware with similar packages.

new ct fw .018 is out
https://www.candelatech.com/downloads/ath10k-9984-10-4b/

*  April 24, 2020:  Fix tids > 425, which caused pool to overflow uint16 bounds checks.
                      Change bounds check to 32-bit numbers.
*  April 24, 2020:  Tweak RAM usage so that 9888 diet + htt build can support 200 stations.
1 Like

Hi everyone, newbie here would appreciate a little help please. I've just installed the latest build from here. My ISP uses PPPoE and I was able to create a custom interface dsl0.101 on the official firmware on another router.
But I'm not able to find Network>Interface>DSL? I need to change the annex, tone, encapsulation/DSL line mode settings.
Thank you in advance

R7800 does not have any DSL functionality, so no wonder that you have not found it in my build. Please ask the DSL support questions elsewhere.

Are you sure that you have R7800?

2 Likes

Managed to get it working using the switch VLAN interface eth0.2
My previous router was HH5A so could explain why, apologies!

Thanks for the stable build. Are those updates weekly for you now?

Irregular.
Typically at least once per week, depends also a bit on the amount of the actual changes in the stable 19.07 OpenWrt source.

2 Likes

@hnyman
I couldn't find info on which ct firmware you're using for your master builds? Are these whatever is in master? Seems like master does not use the latest firmware and by default not using the htt-mgt one.

According to this htt-mgt may be better:

Thanks again for your builds!

They are the default plain "-ct" version in that branch, master or 19.07.

The exact -ct version is difficult to find out, as the -ct firmware .ipk package version is actually the ath10k firmware version, as the -ct firmware stuff is built into inside the ath10k mainline firmware Makefile

And the version string shown in kernel log does not match any other info:
firmware ver 10.4b-ct-9984-fW-013-b63cea875

Currently master has version 17, while the new version is 18. It will use the latest once somebody has authored a patch for ath10k-ct Openwrt Makefile for the version upgrade.
The -ct firmware's author announced the newest version only about 36 hours ago in http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2020-April/023055.html
Nobody has done the patch yet, I think. If you want it quickly, feel free to author the patch and mail it to the OpenWrt developer list.

Ok, looking here:

I now see that master use version 17. I was misled by the date at the beginning of the file that has 2019-10-03 as the date.

It still seems that you have choice of using the full vs full-htt. I understand you're currently choosing the none htt version. Assuming that we will soon have three options, are you planning on switching to the new trimmed htt firmware, once it's available?
What about adding fwcfg configuration file to the build? It seems that the new trimmed firmware will be able to support more stations but needs a configuration to raise the limit.

Thanks.

I have no plans to change the build from the current default.
(In typical home router usage, talking about 200+ stations as clients is rather pointless.)

If you want the htt firmware, simply download it and replace firmware in a live router, or do a personalised build of OpenWrt.

That's what I do, I just replace /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin with whatever firmware I want to test (ct, but "old" works too) and reboot. Easy.

The original fw that came with the OpenWRT build is available in /rom/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin so you can copy it from there if you want to revert, or if you want to mess with the overlay fs, you can

rm /overlay/upper/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin
mount -o remount /