Build for Netgear R7800

that's not master/trunk

I'm positive it's trunk, the link says "master": https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/tree/master/target/linux/ipq806x

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=history;f=target/linux/ipq806x;h=34118b410fa5ba0198498bb0c57daef292145914;hb=refs/heads/master

gitweb shows the exact commits

ipq806x is still at kernel 4.14 and looks like cake was deleted from the source tree by @ldir due to a (wrong) assumption that all major targets are already with 4.19 that includes cake in the upstream Linux.

There will be trouble in building SQM for ipq806x as cake is a dependency for it.

Edit: Looking at the buildbot snapshots, the cake kmod still gets built, but is empty. So, SQM can still be built, but cake qdisc will not work.

Ah, ooops. Yes indeed I thought that relevant targets were on 4.19, or at least soon would be. There's been discussion about trying to reduce the number of packages/specials held in the base repository, cake at least was marked as something that didn't need to be there.

The patch was in patchwork for a week or so and got no response. I'll have a chat whether a possible direction is to put an 'out of tree' version in openwrt/packages.

1 Like

Hmm wondering why ipq806x is still on k4.14 and not 4.19? ie. what's the hold up?

1 Like

chunkeey's forward port to v4.19 is working pretty nicely on ipq8065/ nbg6817 for me, but additional DTS changes will be needed to get the new mainline USB drivers working (I personally don't use USB on my router); see R7500v2 kernel 4.19 test for details.

If SQM is desired, it shouldn't take interested parties that long to get ipq806x bumped to v4.19, probably a better solution than short term package (re-)introductions.

1 Like

Been wondering this too want to test it on my R7800. (For what it's worth, new kernel 4.19 builds off Master have been running great on my WRT32X.)

Would you prefer the snapshot build over the 18.06.4? I play games, CoD. The game plays well on low speed. I wan’t stable ping with low speed. Do you think this is more optimized for gaming?

It's been a week since last builds... interesting

Ever heard about summer vacations and traveling?

9 Likes

Hi Hnyman,thanks for your hard working for such long time.Recently I'm using your latest firmware(master-r10506-cbae306815-20190715-ct) on my R7800. mostly it works fine.but for some reason that I can't set my 5g wirless on 160 mhz mode. could you have any idea that how to make 160 mhz works ? Do I need upgrade driver or somthing else? thanks

1 Like

Hi, I see that for 19.07 there's no package available, but, there's a way to have some package?
I specially need the one for no-ip DDNS service
Sorry if this question was already placed, I'm quite new with OpenWrt and I don't know yet all

Sure. You can compile firmware and packages by yourself.
Devs have not yet initialised the buildbot for 19.07, so there are no downloadable packages, yet.

But as you need no-ip ddns extension, which is simply shell script code if I remember right, you could likely simply use the respective package from master. Download the .ipk to your router and install it with opkg from SSH console. You may need to override some opkg warnings, but the script likely works ok.

1 Like

I always thought that the master was the develop one and for this I installed the stable one. That is that I search.
I either not noob or expert on linux, I can manage easy problems, but I don't know if I'm able to compile by myself. Is a cross-compiling? Or is possible to do on router?

Btw, can I've from you an advice?
I need to install openvpn server and client, then ddns from no-ip and at lat some pbr rules, so I think I definitely need the packages, am I right? Do you think is better to me to install the "old" release instead this one?

Many thanks, Jo

Does it mean latest master compillations do not have SQM? If so what is the latest build with SQM?

You need to get either master or stable openwrt-18.06 in order to be able to get packages easily.
For compiling read the first post by @hnyman. There is instruction on how to create environment.

1 Like

Thanks I'll try if I can't do this or I ask or I roll back!

The new mainline (in-kernel) SQM packages require at least kernel 4.19, while ipq806x/ master is currently still on 4.14; this is a temporary issue.

Personally I've been running kernel 4.19 on my nbg6817 (with USB support) for a while now, so the remaining issues are solvable.

i think if you want an easy life with package installation etc you should just install the 'official' build from openwrt: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload?dataflt[0]=supported+current+rel_%3D18.06.4&dataflt[Model*~]=R7800

and then install the packages that you want.

1 Like

I think the same! :smiley:
What about a future upgrade? I have to re-install all or I can backup the configuration, upgrade and then load old configuration?