Build for Netgear R7800

Any reply would be appreciated

Check out some insights in the SQM thread. Have you configured correctly the shaper

Follow the instructions:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

you have to take into account (if you have a xDSL) that 80-85% and configure your link layer adaptation

I’m using fiber. I already tried to set everything as the guide says but ping still give “request time out” when download traffic is heavy.

EDIT: a little note what I mean by heavy download traffic: torrent, IDM download in which it uses multiple connection to speed up downloads. Regular browsing and streaming doesn’t give “request time out”

Try changing client, might sound stupid but I've had major issues with uTorrent myself.

Long time lurker.
I am currently running, LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 r3435-65eec8bd5f / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.152.82987-7f6fc16). I've had this running for almost a year now. I can push about 800-900mbps on ethernet wired (i have gigabit connection). stock firmware from netgear was able to push mid 950mbps. So i consider openwrt/lede upto par.
lede is able to push around 400-560mbps on AC on my laptop.
I put my spare r7800 on most recent stable build and I was shocked at the difference. Ethernet was barely able to push 500mbps. wifi struggles to push even 200-300 on AC.
configuration was exact same for wired/wifi.
only thing good was that ssh public key auth was working on latest stable release. I don't mind entering password for software that works better.
Not sure what has reduced throughput, any thing that I can do to enhance it further. I would like to keep my connectivity as up to date as possible with the latest fixes for wifi and ssh/etc. I really want to be able to push this router to the max.

thanks.

1 Like

Same issue here. I swtiched from Davids LEDE build (WRT 1900) to the R7800 with hymnans build but i only get 300 of 400mbps using ethernet. I tried the build from the 16th and 20th of september, no difference. I am not able to max out my internet speed anymore.

With Davids build i could always get the maximum of 400+. Not sure what i am doing wrong here. Wifi is realy good. No latency issues. No addons / settings changed, using standard.

Any ideas what i can tweak with the settings?

//Edit:

This has solved my issues:

Setting up_threshold to 35? I thinks that's too low, It will almost set to the max cpu freq all the time. While this may give good performance, what about the heat that it generates? With the default value, it already generate heat to about 60-62 degrees.

its on 54 degrees celcius right now. Not sure if it will get any higher.

What are the default values again (need to factory reset, i forgot :D) ? I will try find a sweet spot between minimum and max.

Hi gents, having serious issues with wifi every couple of days. Wifi just drops,especially 5GHz. I'm on 18.06-SNAPSHOT r7274-5a07b4e7f5 anything that I can try?

try one of the latest versions here. There have been some versions after yours

With built R7800-master-r8134-a6add47869-20180926, on first Luci Login, I got the message to set the password, but I did not get the "set password" button that leads to the set password screen. clicking around, but there was no button.

Do you know how to connect to router and change some settings or files on it?

If you do, go to this directory /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/ on your router and there should be a board and firmware bin file.

Download this firmware https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/blob/master/QCA9984/hw1.0/3.6.0.1/firmware-5.bin_10.4-3.6.0.1-00003 and rename it to firmware-5.bin and overwrite the file in the folder given above, it is an updated wireless driver that has fixed my wifi drops which were happening on 5ghz only for me.

hello,

so it seems that master is moving to the ath10k-ct firmware as default? or am I misreading the commits?
I am wondering if you will make the change and if not could you consider trying to push this commit, https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1374

It has fixed my 5ghz wifi dropouts completely, I used to get constant house members telling me the wifi is down again or just extremely slow but ever since I moved to that manually, its been flawless.

Looks like that. So my master build will change along that to -ct.

The basic change by the core devs is getting mac80211 driver stack more near to the versions in Linux kernel tree. Openwrt had accumulated too many wifi patches, decreasing the maintainability. The goal is to use the next LTS kernel driver stack.

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2018-July/000857.html
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2018-September/014060.html

The change to -ct is a bit surprising, as that may deviate a bit back from that target.

Not really a Linux guy. But I managed .. google, test and go.
Easy methode WinSCP and connect via SCP protocol. Rename to firmware-5.bin and copy ... reboot router.
I guess I did something correct today. Lets monitor if it fixes the issue.
If it's a newer (better) driver then why isn't it being updated via those update files?

Super THX for this anyway... watching my wifes and sons face turn to me when wifi stops is priceless .. but only once.

Haven't tested that for a while, but there is nothing special in my build that is related to the missing password message block, (but apparently you are actually discussing some other build). But in any case, the button only leads to the normal system admin page, where the password change functionality actually is.

If you feel that it is a generic LuCI bug, you should report that in LuCI issue tracker in Github. Quite possible that something has got broken recently, e.g. in the split of luci-mod-admin-full into three sub-packages.

1 Like

One of the advantages of ath10k-ct is that VHT160 works and the speeds are pretty good, above 900Mbps with an Intel 9260.
I've also been able to get VHT160 working with upstream ath10k, although speeds are not as good. The only patch required (at least in the GB regdomain) is to allow DFS scanning on 160Hz channels, e.g.

--- a/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/mac.c     2018-09-27 16:09:37.684103300 +0100
+++ b/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/mac.c     2018-09-27 16:10:05.531503300 +0100
@@ -8143,7 +8143,8 @@
                .radar_detect_widths =  BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_20_NOHT) |
                                        BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_20) |
                                        BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_40) |
-                                       BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_80),
+                                       BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_80) |
+                                       BIT(NL80211_CHAN_WIDTH_160),
 #endif
        },
 };

@hnyman sorry for off topic... if we have an old config we should select ath10k-ct in kernel config? we should select also the ct firmware?
Also what about leds support?

I always use the short seed recipe to set the .config, so the device default package selection caused also the -ct kmod to get selected automatically.

I just built master-r8166-d9a37d8d1e-20180927 and at the first glance the ath10k wifi LED support is gone with the -ct kmod/firmware. wifi LEDs are dark again :frowning:

Probably the ath10k LED config settings need to be modified to apply also for ath10k-ct variants. Might be this line here:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/3fa7e62cec16393d09a914e3c36a14df8353c608/package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile#L361