Build for Linksys EA9500

If you can, can you connect a serial cable and see what's going on when you try to load above image? Paste the CFE out put here or on pastebin

Would like to make this work for others with EU model. Thanks!

Still waiting on Aliexpress :wink: if the cable is recieved I will give it a try. Thanks!

I have EU model too, but i already flashed before with your US firmware. Should i revert to stock, then flash non eu version, or it is so okay.?

How did you install US firmware?

@Murmucka There is no difference between the actual firmware. I just wanted to make flashing EU model without opening it.

@jvr using serial cable

1 Like

i mean here, Force 40 MHz mode is not ticked.
On my router now everything working fine, except upnp :slight_smile: (i think it is firewall settings problem, im on searching)

Don't worry about 40 MHz forced. If you want you can tick it.

@npcomplete
I solved the issue....I rolled back the firmware from ver.1.1.7.180968 to FW_EA9500_1.1.6.173418.
Then I installed: openwrt-20200120-Non-US.zip

Worked perfect!!!!

1 Like

Kernel v 4.19.91

Just a typo. Nothing major! At first I thought older kernel I wonder why? I decided to flash to one of the two firmware copies and check it out. And so far so good!

For other things, no major issues at the moment. I am still reviewing settings and the function of features. It seems good overall so far. Thank you once again!

1 Like

I noticed that the instructions at the beginning of the post say that for a non-US device to install the 2020-01-02 build, but the link is to openwrt-20200120-Non-US.img. I tried install it using the factory UI but it eventually boots back into the factory firmware. I then tried to update with the openwrt-20200102.trx file, but the same thing happened. Am I missing something? (I have an EU v1 EA9500).

Thanks

I think I may be facing the same issue. Can you share your 1.1.6 firmware?
Thanks

You can directly download it from: http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_EA9500_1.1.6.173418_prod.img

1 Like

I tried to use this conjob, but after a couple of updates the system crashes and rollback to the default firmware. https://blog.christophersmart.com/2018/03/18/auto-apply-latest-package-updates-on-openwrt-lede-project/

Is there a explanation for?

That's a terrible idea. Never update packages like that on the device unless you are sure the new version is compatible. Some updates, such as "rpcd" will cause your router not to boot.

1 Like

Thanks. After installing 1.1.6 I was able to install your openwrt-20200120-Non-US.img.

2 Likes

Great thanks.... I learn everyday!
Is maintenance needed, like security updates, DB repairs etc..and is there a "how to"? (sorry, a newbie with Windows experience)

Generally no maintenance is performed on the device as far as updates, you're better off to flash updates via a new image.

1 Like

Good day to all remaining EA9500 users!

I have published the stable OpenWrt 19.07.0 build for Linksys EA9500.
As before, it is a swconfig-based build, made from the 19.07.0 stable Git tag.
It is available for download here, on my Github.

Major changes from official OpenWrt builds:

1. USB storage and filesystem drivers included by default.
    Note: block-mount and the rest are not included, but installable via opkg.
  2. luci-app-wireguard, wireguard-tools, and qrencode are included by default
  3. luci-app-sqm, sqm-scripts and kmod-sched-cake are included by default.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy this release.

5 Likes

New noob here. I've been struggling with a 3 y/o linksys ea9500 in repeated reboot. I suspect a voltage spike caused the problem. I'd hoped to be able to use your EA9500_Factory.trx to restore functionality. So, before getting into any lengthy discussion - is this even possible?
Currently accessing via serial ssh and at the CFE prompt.
Reading through the posts I note the comment regarding router disabled for loading from a tftp client.
From my captured session I see:
Device eth0: hwaddr 60-38-E0-71-0A-17, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
gateway not set, nameserver not set
Loader:raw, invalid tftp target filename (:)!
Could not load :: Invalid parameter

I have attempted (and appeared to succeed) doing a serial flash with EA9500_Factory.trx, but still in repeat-reboot land.
So, is this a lost cause? Device is out of warranty (voided when I opened the box)
Is a "factory" repair an option? If so, I will look into the cost. I think it's become clear that I'm out of my depth here...

TIA for any help, suggestions, etc.

Yes, Linksys disabled TFTP loading of all firmware images, both signed and unsigned. :confused:
That message with Could not load :: Invalid parameter is normal.

Perhaps the first flash region is broken, resulting in you requiring repeated flashes?
Try flashing EA9500_Factory.trx to nflash0.trx2 and setting nvram set bootpartition=1 && nvram commit from CFE.

That should force the router to fall back to booting off the failsafe partition.