Buffalo WZR-600DHP reset root login

Hi all,

I inherited an old Buffalo WZR-600DHP with v. 14 of OpenWRT on it from a friend. I would like to reset the root password prior to reconfiguring and updating the firmware.

I was able to enter failsafe mode by hitting the USB eject button while booting (as specified at the WZR-HP-AG300H documentation page), but do not know then how to rest the router. Do I login through SSH or telnet? If so, what are the login credentials?

I also tried hitting the reset button at the base of the router in failsafe mode and in normal mode but this had no effect.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Access credentials are root and no password (just hit [ENTER]), if ssh doesn't work, you can still try telnet.

1 Like

Thanks! Just tried this again and the problem I have is that in failsafe mode Network Manager (on Ubuntu) cannot create an ethernet connection to the router. Tried with the ethernet cord in both the normal LAN ports and the blue WAN port. Is that still a dhcp connection or is there some other step to connect the computer to the router via ethernet in failsafe mode?

1 Like

You need to set a static IP from the 192.168.1.x range, e.g. 192.168.1.123 (OpenWrt will listen on 192.168.1.1).

1 Like