BRUME(GL-MV1000W) Wireless Edge Computing Gateway

Hi

This router any good for gaming?

BRUME(GL-MV1000W) Wireless Edge Computing Gateway

Thanks
Badri M

Hard to say, typically decent gaming performance requires traffic shaping, and different routers are only powerful enough for shaping to a specific rate, depending on the speed of your internet access link you need a more or less powerful router. My wild guess is that the brume might allow traffic shaping into the 500/500* range (based on the performance of similar devices, I expect my guess to be with a factor 2 of the real performance). I would probably not put too much stock into the 2.4 GHz only radio and instead go for the BRUME(GL-MV1000) without wifi and combine that router with an additional router to act as wifi access point.

All in all this looks like a nice primary wired router to run under OpenWrt directly connected to the uplink.

*) the A53 are reasonable CPUs but with the frequency limited 1GHz I do not see this thing scaling all the way up to shape a gigabit link, at least not with bidirectionally saturating traffic.

3 Likes

Hi

I am planning my setup like this.

Cable Modem -> MV1000W -> playstation and another router for wifi

My speeds are 1000MB Download and 50MB Upload.

Thanks
Badri M

That is going to push things in regards to traffic shaping. BUT nobody forces you to use all available bandwidth anyway.
For example I have been shaping a 100/40 DSL link down to 49/31, because that was the limit my router was able to reliably shape. For my use-case the slower link with competent traffic shaping was a lot more usable than 100/40 without shaping was, so I happily just left 50% of my downlink idle as that resulted in a better usable network. As before, my hunch is that the brume might be able to shape around 500 Mbps, which would still be a fast internet access.

Hi

Thanks for the information.

At present my setup is like this

Cable Modem -> Netduma R2 -> Ubiquiti Edge Switch 5xp -> PS4 and PC

Netduma is okay but sometimes I feel like its not great when I play games.

How do you compare this device with Netduma R2?

Thanks
Badri M

Since I have no first hand experience with either, I am not the right person to ask here, sorry.

Hi

I am using BRUME(GL-MV1000W) right now. Out of the box its good. I feel like its much better than R2 in few cases.

I have to configure this and try for gaming.

Any sqm and qos configuration I can refer for this model?

I try to run below command but getting nothing. there is a warning message WARNING: netperf returned errors. Results may be inaccurate!
speedtest-netperf.sh -H netperf-west.bufferbloat.net -t 20

Thanks
Badri M

SQM/ QoS configurations are pretty much hardware agnostic (as long as the hardware is fast enough to cope). The only variable here is your WAN speed (or more specifically, the minimum guaranteed speeds you can attain in practice, the overhead figures and the margin you want to reserve) - and in advanced steps priority handling for specific devices (or better individual services via diffserv).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.