Broadcom bin, something usefull?

With a technicolor vulnerability we can access root to the modem...

Would the BCM63138 dsl and voip bin be usefull? (new technicolor firmware are based on openwrt chaos calmer...)

If someone want more information about this, here i am. Modem is this DGA 4130 (and also tg 789vac xtream)

Doubtful as it'll be compiled against an earlier kernel.

Probably some wonderful 2.x kernel

kernel is 3.x

Also Quantenna WiFi bins are included and fully functional

@Ansuel are you already working on a Wiki page for that vulnerable device? If you compile all hardware details I can help you reviewing the draft. Take a look at the DGND3700v1 and Vodafone Station Revulution pages as good examples.

I'm working on technicolor device, i have only this device...

Of course, that one is what I was referring to, use the other device pages only as a reference for pagination and content examples

@LuKePicci so, the new Technicolor DGA4132 features almost the same board of DGA4130 (at least the SoC part, I still have to verify the WiFi equipment). Recently, a vulnerability has been found for this router too, and we're able to access it via ssh. Is there something we can do? Technicolor build, again, is based on a crappy 3.4.11 kernel.

Not so much I think, in any case you should check for license compatibility otherwise any successful result into getting those bins working is not releaseable.

can you like me this vulnerability?

Has anybody made any attempt to bring the newest version onto the DGA4132? With those binaries at least full wifi support should be possible, shouldn't it? The upgrade might break the phone and DSL Port though, but other than that I think it would be pretty awesome

License terms on proprietary binaries often forbid redistribution in any form (other than use on the device for which they were originally installed).

@jeff It it still the same device :wink: And a german court has ruled that a vendor can not restrict the redistribution of an image that is modified if it contains GPL licensed stuff. AVM (a big german manufacturer) tried to prohibit another company modifying their images with a Child Protection software commercially, but the court ruled that it is legal because they are not altering any copyrighted stuff and just GPLed stuff and adding stuff to the image, therefor AVM has to tolerate that.

I'm not arguing that you would not be able to use it on your device. Much like the proprietary bits in cell phones, If you purchased the phone, you can (generally) use those proprietary bits with different firmware on the phone that you purchased. However, I who does not own that phone, have no right to give a copy of that firmware to anyone else, nor, likely, do you. More than likely, we are both prohibited from reverse engineering, decompiling, and most anything else interesting about examining the binary to make it "useful" for anything but its original use.

Pretty much, by definition, those aren't under GPL, so the referenced case doesn't change things.

Yeah those aren't under the GPL, but the Kernel and so on is. So they have to tolerate modifications with their firmware, including replacing all GPL licensed components (upgrading the OpenWRT). So yes it is correct that the file can not be redistributed to people not owning the device, and the most simple approach is to have a script that modifies the image, thats how most people do it with the AVM Firmware: The firmware is downloaded from the manufacturers Server when you run make, then its modded and the read-to-install firmware is your output. So there is a way, if you want to do it this will work.

Around their firmware, yes. To their firmware, which is not GPL, no.

My definition of Firmware in this case is the image. So all the GPL Licensed stuff can be legally modified, the proprietary stuff of course not.

By the way: AVMs license also still states that their images may not be modified/unpacked but that part doesnt matter as it would violate the GPL, thats what the court ruled. Of course in a different country or even at a different court, this might be different.

1 Like