Bricked EAP225-Wall Trying to Flash Back to Original Firmware

Would this work fine?

I had to delete my last msg cause I noticed that one wouldn't ship to my location. Sorry if you got double notifs

it should work, even though probably not needed, you might want to consider a USB TTL also supporting 1.8v.

making it more future proof.

Would this be good?
While looking I noticed each model also has a different chip like PL2303GC, FT232RL, CH340C, ect. Does it matter which one?

Thank you for the help

The one in the link, is the one I've got, but mine came with some additional cables.

I've only had issues once, it didn't work very well with the ZTE MF286R.
If you want to play it safe, the 2303 is probably the best choice.

Alright, I've got this one in cart for now.
Would the 6 pin DuPont cable be enough do you think?

I'll get some pictures of the eap225 motherboard and upload in the meantime while i wait for it to arrive

you only need three wires, and what kind of cable you need, really depends on the connector on the PCB side, and if you want to solder pins on the PCB, unless already presoldered.

Here's the pictures of the PCB. I don't mind soldering if needed.

I can't see any obvious place, where the serial console would be accessible :frowning:

ohh :sob: well I'm glad to know before i ordered the adapter at least.

Is there anything specific I could double check for that maybe I didn't get on camera? The metal covers seem to be on there tight, but is there possibility of anything under there?

Usually the connector's four holes in the PCB, holes you'd see from the back too,
unfortunately I can't see any of those.

They could be pads, if that's the case, they could be under the metal covers.

1 Like

@yeahbuddy It's probably J4: Anyone working on TP-Link EAP225? - #17 by blinkstar88

2 Likes

I think that's it. The USB adapter should arrive tomorrow and I'll update this post then :slight_smile:

Thank you both for the help.

Lets check the FCC database :smiley:
https://fccid.io/TE7EAP225/Internal-Photos/1652013R-Internal-Photograph-2016-08-01-3108175
Its afaic see in the upper left corner under CE/FC 9cm/10cm

edit: that board seems different from the one in the photo :confused:

The serial is J4. Number 1 is the one with mark. 1,2 is tx and rx. Number 3 is ground. Pin Tx and rx disable with unpopulated R225 and R237, just short this resistor will fix the problem. Pin 4 is Vcc with unpopulated coupling capacitor C817.

1 Like

Well lets wait on @yeahbuddy to bring his device back from the dead :innocent:

Alright, the adapters in. I soldered everything. I'm guessing Rx and Tx plug into the RXD and TXD ports on the adapter? It's probably an obvious answer, just want to make sure because of the missing D.

Nope, they need to be crossed (usually; there are adapter with wrong labeling). It's always specified from the point of view of the device, so TxD of the router is the router's transmit while TxD on the computer is the computer's transmit - and connecting them won't work, you want transmit to receive. If you get it wrong, you'll get no output, but you can't break anything (if it's really just RxD/TxD swapped).

Edit: I was able to get PuTTY working and I'm able to type in commands. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm following this. According to that guide I need specific values depending on the device but I'm not sure what those would be. Any ideas on this? This is the hardware spec sheet for my device

Edit2: I'm gonna be off my pc for a little bit, I made some progress though. I think I was able to get the TFTP Sever working but now the console shows the AP is looking for a file called "0101A8C0.img".

Here is the output of printenv command if it helps.

bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=31:02 rootfstype=jffs2 init=/sbin/init mtdpar                                                       ts=ath-nor0:256k(u-boot),64k(u-boot-env),14528k(rootfs),1408k(uImage),64k(mib0),                                                       64k(ART)
bootcmd=bootelf 0x9f040000
bootdelay=2
baudrate=115200
ethaddr=0x00:0xaa:0xbb:0xcc:0xdd:0xee
ipaddr=192.168.1.1
dir=
lu=tftp 0x80060000 ${dir}u-boot.bin&&erase 0x9f000000 +$filesize&&cp.b $fileaddr                                                        0x9f000000 $filesize
lf=tftp 0x80060000 ${dir}board956x${bc}-jffs2&&erase 0x9f050000 +0xE30000&&cp.b                                                        $fileaddr 0x9f050000 $filesize
lk=tftp 0x80060000 ${dir}vmlinux${bc}.lzma.uImage&&erase 0x9fe80000 +$filesize&&                                                       cp.b $fileaddr 0x9fe80000 $filesize
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
serverip=192.168.1.234
ethact=eth0

I made this reply separate because I think I'm close to the solution. I was able to put the firmware image onto the device but when I try to boot using bootm it gives me a "Bad Magic Number" error. I get this using the OpenWRT firmware file and the official TP-Link firmware file.

Edit: I was able to flash the EAP225 v3 initramfs from this page successfully. Thank you everyone for the help

Outline of the steps I took for flashing incase anyone else has a similar issue:

I followed this to flash to the device.

They use the example "erase 0xbf020000 +0x7c0000" in order to show the command, in order to find the values for whatever device your using type in "printenv bootcmd" and the output from that would replace "0xbf020000" in the example command.

The output from the tftpboot command will tell you the info for the filesize, for me it was

Bytes transferred = 4937188 (4b55e4 hex)

The (4b55e4 hex) is the important part

And then "printenv bootcmd" would output something like

bootcmd=bootelf 0x9f040000

So the command in my case was "erase 0x9f040000 +0x4b55e4" and then use those values for the other commands in the guide

Running "tftpboot" with no extra parameters should also give you the load address which in the guide is "0x81000000". For me it was the exact same address but it may be different for you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.