Booting to VR9 prompt can anyone help ? Log Attached

Folks
Ive gone and got myself a bit lost when trying to install OpenWRT onto a BT home hub 5a.
I was following two or three different guides as some were not self explanatory enough for idiots like me. The last command I think I ran was the "prepare" command. I have googled and googled but not been able to find any aoswers,

I have attached a very short log output if anyone could help id appreciate it.
Thanks

John

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2020.03.23 10:31:22 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

ROM VER: 1.1.4
CFG 06
NAND
NAND Read OK

DDR autotuning Rev 0.3d
DDR size from 0xa0000000 - 0xa7ffffff
DDR check ok... start booting...

U-Boot 2010.06-LANTIQ-v-2.2.46 (Sep 07 2013 - 02:57:04 on tester@clean-machine)

CLOCK CPUre boot
DRAM: 125 MiB
NAND: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xec, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Samsung NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
128 MiB
Bad block table found at page 65472, version 0x01
Bad block table found at page 65408, version 0x01
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: Internal phy(GE) firmware version: 0x841b
vr9 Switch

Type "run flash_nfs" to mount root filesystem over NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 1 0
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
0x000000100000-0x000007f80000 : "mtd=0"
UBI: attaching mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: physical eraseblock size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB)
UBI: logical eraseblock size: 129024 bytes
UBI: smallest flash I/O unit: 2048
UBI: sub-page size: 512
UBI: VID header offset: 512 (aligned 512)
UBI: data offset: 2048
UBI: attached mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: MTD device name: "mtd=0"
UBI: MTD device size: 126 MiB
UBI: number of good PEBs: 1012
UBI: number of bad PEBs: 0
UBI: max. allowed volumes: 128
UBI: wear-leveling threshold: 4096
UBI: number of internal volumes: 1
UBI: number of user volumes: 1
UBI: available PEBs: 997
UBI: total number of reserved PEBs: 15
UBI: number of PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 10
UBI: max/mean erase counter: 718/513
kernel volume not found
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
VR9 #

Just follow this guide again, from the very beginning, using Linux (possibly from a live USB). I could not find a single consistent Windows-based guide.

I think that the step that has failed is sending lede-lantiq-bthomehubv5a_ram-u-boot.asc via the serial cable, or the TFTP step. If there are still questions, feel free to contact me on skype (aepatrakov).

1 Like

And that's the step I thought was successful. Following that same guide I'm reasonably certain i got past that point and recall using tftp to run the installImage.bin. If that was correct do you still think starting again from the beginning would be the best way forward. Cheers

Yes, I think starting over is the best way forward, because right now you only have a boot loader prompt, which is something that the guide does not cover. Starting from scratch will remove the need to improvise. Again, feel free to call me on skype so that I can follow the procedure in real time and confirm each step.

Thank you for trying to help. I'll keep you updated

Got all the way to 6b no problems, got the backup saved but whilst it was backing up I went and grabbed a cup of tea only to return and see the UART prompt so didn't get a chance to run the next step which should have been the prepare script. Have no idea why that happened. Will try again hopefully tomorrow

Please check whether the power supply sits well in the socket.

fwiw, if you get a VR9 prompt, I think you ran the Prepare script, but whether it completed successfully is unknown. If you rebooted hub, then VR9 prompt will appear.

However, if it completed successfully and you started to install the OpenWrt squashfs-sysupgrade.bin image and this is where it some times fails, then upon reboot, you would have been presented with same VR9 prompt. Just load the LEDE install image again and go direct to installing the sysupgrade image to finish the installation.

From VR9 prompt, you can load the LEDE install image from TFTP server from alternate IP address 192.168.1.10

If you are a Windows user, refer to last page, 10, of the 'windows' PDF guide for how to load install image from VR9 prompt by interrupting the bootloader.
https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266
nanddump restore can be completed much quicker too with this method.

Further to @patrakov suggestion, check the 4 digit date stamp engraved on the power adapter. Is it too old and failing?

I would suggest you try a different low capacity USB2 flash drive too. HH5A doesn't like some flash drives in my experience.

You may need to restore BT/Plusnet firmware and start from beginning.

1 Like

Massive thank you too you both. Finally got round to another go. All installed eventually. Just getting a working tftp server created the biggest issue when said and done. Yes I did have to restore the backup then once I got my head around it following procedure was easy enough. Thank you again