Best router for VPN Client and 300mbps uplink

Hi,

My uplink is 300mbps, router is TP-Link Archer C7 v5. I have Surfshark subscription on which I can achieve ~270mbps through macos application on WIFI.

I have installed OpenWRT on that router, and configured OpenVPN client to passtrough all network devices in my home. The problem is that the speed drops to 11mbps, which is normal because of very weak CPU. Without OpenVPN and software offoad enabled it has ~250mbps.

Naturally I have a question, what router would you recommend to handle all 300mbps through OpenVPN? Is it possible to fit in 200 eur?

I suppose I can use micro computer such as Nanopi R5S to handle OpenVPN connection and then use my C7 as access point? But will Nanopi can handle 300mbps OpenVPN uplink?

Thank you for your suggestions!

The RK3339 in the NanoPi R4S has a couple A72 cores at 2GHz (plus four slower A53 cores). I'd expect the R4S would be a little better for CPU bound OpenVPN than the R5S with its RK3568 (four A55 cores at 2 GHz). Plus the NanoPi R4S is currently supported by OpenWrt, while the R5S is not.

Van Tech Corner tests of NanoPi R4S Wireguard and VPN speed here:
NanoPi R4S Overview & Performance Test (NAT, OpenVPN,Wireguard, iPerf)
could be of interest.

The R4S VPN service he used for testing maxed out at 200 Mbps. At 200 Mbps:

• Wireguard VPN made good use of all CPU cores and overall CPU load was ~50%, so you might see up to ~400 Mbps Wireguard VPN on the R4S.
  • OpenVPN maxed out a single CPU core. Even though the other CPU cores were near idle, ~200 Mbps is probably it for OpenVPN with it stuck on a single core. OpenWrt very recently enabled armv8 hardware encryption (after this testing was done), which could improve OpenVPN performance quite a bit higher than this. Perhaps others have tested this and can give you some more information.

An x86 based Gateway router would be another option for a faster VPN client.

Oh wow, thank you very much for your reply, I will definitely check R4S. Thought newer is always better, but as I can see - not always :slight_smile:
Watching tests on video looks very promising :slight_smile: