Best equipment for long-distance 2.4 GHz link?

For those without the spare cash but some mechanical skills there is the "cantenna" which used to be well known a few years back.
If you search the web for cantenna multiple useful links will be returned.
For example:

or
https://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

So with the Ubiquiti NanoBeam M2-13, my connection now is pretty decent and meets my needs, although not quite as strong and robust as I would ideally like.

I suspect the improvement is mostly due to the overall improved antenna and signal processing of the NanoBeam compared to the TP-Link CPE210 I was trying with before. However, I have also been experimenting quite a lot with positioning and aiming the device, and this has likely also improved a little bit, so this is not a perfectly controlled comparison.

This connection is now stable for hours albeit at relatively low rates - typically MCS3 is the highest negotiated. The connection does occasionally briefly drop out, but so far this was only happened a couple times for a few seconds, and this is not problematic for my use case. I suspect a Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2-400 (or a MikroTik LHG 2) would indeed give me a better connection but, as I said, our landlord does not allow mounting a dish, so I have stayed away from those. (And hopefully the NanoBeam is inconspicuous enough that it does not count...)

Thanks for all the advice on this thread!

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.