Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Which advantage do you have in mind when running OpenWrt in non-UBI, now that you have converted the device already?
Or are you planning to go back to stock firmware?

Replace it with what? This box is kind of the latest and greatest thing in the OpenWrt community right now.

I'm sure you could readily sell it to someone here, with OpenWrt installed.

8 Likes

+1 this device is superb I have x3 connected wirelessly and I get fast transition bliss throughout my entire large three floor home and garden. There is way more processing power and memory than I need on all devices. Everything seems so stable. I am delighted with these and the development work that has gone into them. And the only gripe would be the installer wiki did not have enough information but I think that has been updated now.

istockphoto-1248543745-170667a

Imagine I will have this setup for some time to come.

My first device and access route to OpenWrt. I am sure this device brought many more to OpenWrt.

5 Likes

I'm sure you could readily sell it to someone here, with OpenWrt installed.

+1 on that, especially given the currently limited availability of this device in central europe.

2 Likes

We were seeing the exact same problem on the Xiaomi AX3600 and from what we discovered it was that the bss color option was not getting set and is needed for AX to work correctly.

We more or less solved it by setting it manually in the config WiFi device section of wireless config.

option he_bss_color '8'

As far as I'm aware the value can be anything up to 63 and should be set random.

5 Likes

Cool. Let me give it a try. Tho. the latest mt76 driver is performing a lot better now. I still see WiFi issue while playing online games on AX, but it’s less now.

Stock firmware SUCCESFULLY restored. :+1: Bye.

3 Likes

What guide did you follow?

Hello can you explain the config mesh than you are make please he seem very complicated for me to understand

I switched to WDS when mesh got broken (albeit mesh may be fixed now). I just use the standard approach described on the wiki I think (main AP offers 2.4Ghz regular AP and 5Ghz AP WDS, then extensions AP's connect to main 5Ghz WDS AP as WDS client, then also offer their own 2.4 and 5Ghz regular AP).

So far has been very stable. Throughput seems good enough (like 300Mbit/s plus).

1 Like

It is now merged into the mt76 driver, and integrated into OpenWrt master branch, thank you.

1 Like

Ok , I did flash opewrt using " Release v0.6.1" files without any issues. I've configured this unit as "dump ap" to provide only wifi services , it works.

I'd like also to test usb-tethering , and I was following this guide : Usb Tethering

Unfortunately I got errors when installing RNDIS

Screenshot from 2021-12-03 17-12-23

Any suggestion ?

Since the current kernel version in your device (5.10.80) is different from the kernel version in the packages repo (5.10.82), you will not be able to install kmod-* packages. You have a generate a SNAPSHOT imagew using Image Builder locally in your PC (linux and maybe macOS as well) or use https://asu.aparcar.org/ to create a custom image with your own list of packages.

Daniel said:

You cannot flash the installer using the running recovery. You need to power cycle the device which will make it return to stock firmware. Only then flash the installer.

I've just forked the repo, and added a warning to this effect into Readme.md. Expect a pull request shortly.

2 Likes

Thank you, I did the attended sysupgrade via Luci interface and then I've been able to install usb tethering required packages.

hi i has flashed 0.6.1 on my router but impossible to flash to snapshot recent

my router is blocked to recovery initframs, why ?

I has also flashed recovery installer 0.6.0 in thé past

Hi, am I wrong or there is no "power off" button available via Luci ? In case I need to perform a safe shutdown , can I do that via SSH ?

Oups he seems than make tjis error

ok so i has power off and power on and his good !

but now i has reboot my routerand he return to recovery ....

after 2 hours always not my router is blocked to initframs ...
@daniel
i don't know why but he resolv only thanks for all

There is only reboot button in Luci. If you want to turn it off just unplug the router or use the switch on the back of router.

I was asking to avoid to corrupt file system.

I did try poweroff command via SSH and it works.

1 Like