Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

This did it! Thank you!

More specifically, I force flashed the initramfs recovery image, unplugged for 2 mins, plugged back in, it booted into recovery, then flashed this image. Not sure if all the steps were necessary, but my router is seeing radio1 again :smiley:

2 Likes

I feel that WiFi is more responsive on the MASTER SNAPSHOT due to updated mt76. However this is my own subjective feeling and I haven't taken any quantitative measurements to back up my claim.

1 Like

I first wrote about this issue here:

I'll try to make this concise:

• In November or December of last year, I used @daniel's image to upgrade to UBI
  • used this build to update to the latest build that same day
  • enjoyed months of completely flawless performance (never rebooted, crashed, or lost connection)
  • About 1.5 mos ago, decided it was time for an update, the gui version of AUC failed, then the SSH version also failed.
  • returned to the DangoWRT github page, and downloaded this image: openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19338-ae64d0624c-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb. This image had two problems for me,
    • it took some finagling to get the 2.4 ghz network working (5ghz was fine)
    • AUC was not present at all. It's not in Luci, and it doesn't appear to be in $PATH when I SSH into the machine.

I have been using this build ever since, but my wife has been complaining about the 2.4ghz network (which she has to use because her office is too far from the router). Even though her problem could be outside our network, I'd still like to update to a newer snapshot.

My questions are:

• Why did AUC disappear?
  • Should I install the RC4? Scanning this discussion, it seems like a lot of users are having problems with it. My wife will kill me if the router stops working.
  • Does anyone have a build that they'd be willing to share that has been very stable for them?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe auc is just not included in that build? Install normal sysupgrade file from openwrt or one of the build servers. On the build servers you can even specify what extra packages you want included or install them through opkg package manager later on (software tab on luci or opkg cli). Problem is on snapshot you can only install packages through opkg for that day until there's a new snapshot build as all package are rebuilt towards that new build.

2 Likes

I recently installed openwrt on my Belkn RT3200 following the directions at https://github.com/dangowrt/owrt-ubi-installer#installing-openwrt. Everything booted up ok and I started poking around. I seem to be missing my 5Ghz radio. I then installed a more recent snapshot, no radio. tried installing RC4 - same but I noticed that the version info on the Overview page didn't change.

Tried going between the most recent snapshot and RC4 and no matter what the Firmware version doesn't change in the overview page.

Hostname OpenWrt
Model Linksys E8450 (UBI)
Architecture ARMv8 Processor rev 4
Target Platform mediatek/mt7622
Firmware Version OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19338-ae64d0624c / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.119.37115-66994a5

Is the 2.4 Ghz band internet connection disconnecting at times for anyone else? The internet stops working only for this band at times and it's back after a while. Anyway to fix it?

3 Likes

I have same issue, at random times I loose all connectivity. I have same SSID on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and can't actually tell which radio looses the connection. I am running OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc4 configured as "dumb AP", so the load on the CPU/RAM should be pretty low actually.

2 Likes

@nbd Hello Felix, Thank you for maintaining the mt76 driver. Are there any plans to update the mt76 version in 22.03 branch to match the master branch? How do you decide which mt76 commit to use for a specific openwrt branch? I had also asked this question earlier at https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/9945#issuecomment-1139843095

Every once in a while, I have these moments when I realize how profoundly confused I've been. I didn't know that you could simply install the AUC from the repo. I thought this was one of the main benefits of using the DangoWRT script; it installed Daniel's custom-made AUC. :laughing:

Thank you. I think you've solved my problem.

1 Like

For me, it's not loss of connectivity. I still have connection to the wifi, but the internet is very unstable. It stops at times, it's really annoying as I have most of my smart home devices on the 2.4ghz wifi and it randomly doesn't work with Alexa :confused:

1 Like

Yes me too i has a 2.4 disconnect intermittent on my device ,

I has stop the.wifi for the moment :pensive:

1 Like

I've also noticed this, when I connect to my 2.4ghz wifi, the width is always at 20 Mhz, even though my settings are at 40 Mhz.

You can force 40 MHz mode in LuCIs "Advanced" Tab. My RT3200 did not use 40 MHz channel width otherwise, but check for overlapping channels with your 2.4GHz neighbours first.

To all the guys who recently mentioned the WiFi issues with the E8450, I have had the same issues with both WiFi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz disconnecting and re-connecting within seconds, especially Apple devices, no Internet intermittently although being connected to WiFi, etc. After a lot of searching and trying, the workaround that actually fixed the issues was to add

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/aql_enable
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/aql_enable

in the startup, initscripts, rc.local , before the exit 0 to switch off obviously buggy AQL according to

I have been running 20.03 RC3 and now RC4 with this for weeks now without any WiFi issues anymore, could you try, reboot, and feedback, if this worked for you ?

2 Likes

Has this helped with latency variation, especially on 2.4?

A working solution is described here

Apologies if you have tried this in the past, but a suggestion (from another thread your familiar with) might help you narrow it down a bit if you haven't. Have you tried disabling any form of WPA (wifi encryption)? I know this is not a solution and might be risky given you can't reproduce the issue on demand - but it might help to narrow down the cause.

For the record, I don't have your device and so far the three other family members in my household that use apple devices have not complained to me about this issue.

I've seen this issue once on rc4. WPA3 on iOS 15 and it was like the device was in a failed auth loop. Eventually it connected but I did notice it. I might just not be aware as 5G works well where I am and it may just be failing over to it during the intermittence.

Im having a problem where the router becomes unresponsive after about 2 minutes. Everything boots normally and I can login to LuCi and ssh into the router. Then suddenly I lose all connectivity.

I first tried: 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19338-ae64d0624c
then I installed: RC4

Same issue with that one.

I have one ethernet cable hooked into ethernet port 1, nothing in the internet port, have tried enabling and disabling the wireless, that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Ignored the warnings and bricked it trying to return to the factory firmware. Oops.