Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Would anyone happen to know if it's possible to disable the lan port leds on these routers? I don't see them listed in /sys/class/leds -

~# ls /sys/class/leds

**inet:blue** **inet:orange** **mt76-phy0** **power:blue** **power:orange**

so I'm assuming it's not possible, but just thought i'd see if anyone might know of a way.

Has anyone else observed 802.11ax speeds fall off dramatically with distance, much more so than 802.11ac?

My wife's MacBook Pro supports 802.11ax but I noticed her SpeedTest (Ookla) results were far slower than mine.

I disabled all networks and set up a single 802.11ax network just for her on channel 120 with 80mhz width.

Leaving the MacBook in the same location, her speeds on 802.11ax would be fairly abysmal. Changing the network from AX to AC would reliably increase her upload speeds by 4,586% from around 15 Mbps to 680 Mbps and download speeds by 78% from 330 to 480 Mbps.

Moving the laptop super close to the station would bring 802.11ax levels closer to 802.11ac, but is there any logical reason why speeds fall off so dramatically for 802.11ax over 802.11ac?

Observing this on both the development snapshot build (commit ce90ba1) and on 22.03.0-rc3.

edit: found a thread mentioning this same issue

Added more notes in the other thread:

Bringing the TX power down a bit or moving the band from 80Mhz to 40Mhz does bring the upload speeds closer to 802.11ac (about 280 Mbps), but at the cost of lowering download speeds and still nowhere near enough not to just drop AX in favor of AC like @dsouza.

It also, TBH, just doesn't make sense - isn't 802.11ax supposed to increase throughput, theoretically?

3 Likes

I...would guess all of those are GPIO controlled and the others are switch controlled. Luckily, the switch supports driving the LEDs through GPIO. I can whip up a PR if you want. Unfortunately, I cannot test as I have a Belkin RT3200 and not an E8450.

2 Likes

Oh no, don’t worry about it, I appreciate the offer but it’s not that important, a strip of tape is working fine, I was actually thinking there might already be a way to do it through gpio.

I had an E7350 that I did this with: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/4470

1 Like

I've tested the RT3200 router performance with Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) devices connected to the built-in switch.
My goal was to see if there is an issue with WAN performance when Fast Ethernet devices are connected and there are LAN transfers on the network.
The results are here Severe WAN performance degradation when Fast Ethernet devices are connected to a Gigabit switch and transfer data over LAN (probably present on most OpenWrt versions) - #11 by sppmaster

rich I keep the final version of the FCC document here:

http://www.taht.net/~d/fcc_saner_software_practices.pdf

Every so often I wish we'd taken that volunteer base and kept going, kept fighting on other fronts. Found ways to buy more press, especiallly.

1 Like

Anyone else using:

OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19385-f765f2f114

This has been unstable for me (breaks my WDS setup - WDS clients lose connection to the main WDS access point, which has otherwise been stable on 22.03 snapshots up until this one).

Is there a way to easily downgrade to a previous snapshot using auc or perhaps the issues I face will get fixed shortly?

Trying to upgrade to the latest snapshot I now see this:

{
    "url": "https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org",
    "revision": "r19385-f765f2f114",
    "advanced_mode": "0",
    "app_version": "git-22.068.37885-65266c4",
    "branch": "22.03",
    "efi": null,
    "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
    "profile": "linksys,e8450-ubi",
    "target": "mediatek/mt7622",
    "version": "22.03-SNAPSHOT",
    "packages": [
        "auc",
        "base-files",
        "blockd",
        "busybox",
        "ca-bundle",
        "dnsmasq",
        "dropbear",
        "firewall4",
        "fstools",
        "iperf3",
        "kernel",
        "kmod-fs-exfat",
        "kmod-fs-ext4",
        "kmod-fs-f2fs",
        "kmod-fs-vfat",
        "kmod-gpio-button-hotplug",
        "kmod-leds-gpio",
        "kmod-mt7615-firmware",
        "kmod-mt7615e",
        "kmod-mt7915e",
        "kmod-nft-offload",
        "kmod-nls-base",
        "kmod-nls-cp437",
        "kmod-nls-iso8859-1",
        "kmod-nls-utf8",
        "kmod-usb-storage",
        "kmod-usb-storage-uas",
        "kmod-usb3",
        "libc",
        "libustream-openssl",
        "logd",
        "luci",
        "luci-app-attendedsysupgrade",
        "luci-ssl-openssl",
        "luci-theme-openwrt-2020",
        "mtd",
        "netifd",
        "nftables-json",
        "odhcp6c",
        "odhcpd-ipv6only",
        "opkg",
        "ppp",
        "ppp-mod-pppoe",
        "procd",
        "procd-seccomp",
        "procd-ujail",
        "tcpdump",
        "uboot-envtools",
        "uci",
        "uclient-fetch",
        "urandom-seed",
        "urngd",
        "wpad-openssl"
    ],
    "diff_packages": true
}
Signature check failed.
Remove wrong Signature file.
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libubus20220601 for blockd
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for blockd found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package blockd.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:169: package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [Makefile:134: _call_manifest] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:253: manifest] Error 2

What's the easiest way for me to get to a stable version again?

I think I could go to 22.03.00-rc1 from here.

But is there a way I can use auc to go to the snapshot right before:

OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19385-f765f2f114?

Could try r19394 if that fixes it?

According to this commit the PPPoE patches that broke the wed functionality are now included in the 5.15 kernel... :frowning_face:

2 Likes

There is a Release Candidate version 3 available, but not officially announced if you want to try that out. Index of /releases/22.03.0-rc3/targets/mediatek/mt7622/ (openwrt.org)
Edit: This link seems to be down now.

Thanks! Looks like the issue is resolved in OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT r19394-ee4a765090.

At least my 3x RT3200 WDS setup seems stable again.

1 Like

Successfully upgraded 3 of my routers from rc1 to OpenWrt 22.03.0-rc3 r19378, as it looks like auc already got it (at least using sysupgrade.openwrt.org server)

3 Likes

RT3200 has been all good to me for several months, except for one lingering issue.

After several days/weeks of uptime, my 5GHz/AX laptop (Intel AX200 PCie, Arch Linux, wpa_supplicant) refuses to connect. Clients on 5GHz/AC,and 2.4GHz are unaffected.

Relevant logs: (Repeats for each client connection attempt)

Wed Jun  8 06:16:36 2022 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1-1: STA <mac> IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Wed Jun  8 06:16:36 2022 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1-1: STA <mac> IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Wed Jun  8 06:16:44 2022 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1-1: STA <mac> IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request

Restarting the radio in the OpenWRT GUI clears the issue.
Currently running 22.03.0-rc3. Have also observed this on rc2, rc1, and earlier snapshots.

My best guess would be some kind of slow memory/resource leak in low-level AX driver.
Anyhting I can do to help track this down?

He seems rc 2 et rc3 are deleted because has a problèm

Try maybe.a new Snapshot

1 Like

I notice this too. Is there info what the issues are? I've been on RC3 since you mentioned it and after correcting which channel I broadcast on have had no major issues I've noticed.

for me the problem is wireless 2.4 on rc2 disconnect intermitence

and my pingplotter was bad high ping sometimes

with snapshot i has no problem and he work perfectly

i don't know when out 22.03 official release but i think soon just my mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like RC4 is almost here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0-rc4/

4 Likes

I moved my RT3200 (acting as dumb ap) to another location today, linked to my Mikrotik RB5009 over LAN (approx 12m LoS, no idea how much cabling there is in the wall). In any case, it now only connects at 100mbit for some reason. Is there any way to see why it decides on that?

The mikrotik reports that the other side only ever advertises 100mbit.

Edit: probably the cable run is at fault, my thinkpad only connects at 100mbit there as well, directly patching into the same router port is 1gbit.

Edit 2: weirder still, there is a second parallel run (all sockets are dual) that when patched runs at 1gbit. Well, guess I will use that one then :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds really like cable fault. 100 Mbit/s uses 2 pairs, 1Gbit/s needs all four.

2 Likes