Basic wifi bridge, what am i doing wrong / not doing?

Hello All,

Please forgive my ignorance, i have tried numerous examples both gui and cli and i seem to be missing something fundamental. I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance. And with all due respect to wiki authors the content jumps from one version of ui to another and i cant follow.

So here is my setup.

Hardware:
-ASUS AC-1750
-OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.136.49537-fb2f363

I am trying to setup in the following way:

A-[wifi access point] - gateway192.168.0.1
B-[openwrt_router] wifi connected to A
C-[comp] ethernet connected to B getting internet from A.
D-[comp] wifi connected to B getting internet from A.

So i do the following:

1. flash/reset, set password.
  2. change lan ip address to 192.168.2.1
  3. in openwrt i connect wifi radio to A.
  • when i do this [wan]/[wan6]/[wwan (empty)] are in (create/assign firewall zone)
  1. This give me an "associated station" - (wlan1)

So at this point the router doesnt have internet, the connnected devices don't have internet. I don't know what to do next.

Thanks so much for you time.

Take a look at travelmate. It can do what you need.

thanks trendy. checking out now.

Is this possible with "stock" openwrt ? surely ?

The problem is that you cannot have bridged wifi client. You'll have a standalone wifi client interface and a bridge of the lan with the wifi access point.

sorry i don't understand, i can use the router to connect to wifi hotspot and then share that connection ?

Thanks for you help trendy,

So i can't do this:

[hotspot/internet] <= wifi => [openwrt] <= eth => [computer]

You can. However wifi and eth will not be bridged.

Forgive me. I dont understand bridged. I thought i did but clearly i have no idea.

I just want internet on computer, i don't know what it's called. Can you please tell me without the bridge how to get the ethernet connection working "i thought that meant bridged"

In a nutshell in a bridged scenario devices connected to A and B would have the IPs from the same subnet.
In your case the subnet of A will be different from the lan subnet of B and packets will be routed between them.

thanks for helping out the newbie !

I actually thought thats what i wanted that way my "lan" all my gear connected to openwrt can be on seperate subnet to the AP.

1. What do i do now. I have the AP connected giving me wlan1. i have lan on different subnet but how to i connect to two.

2. Since the openwrt has AP connected to internet, Why can't i even ping from diagnostics "forgetting everything else"

thx

Hi Bill,

Got it working. Pretty Basic Really.

Give it the right DNS and masquarading on firewall fixed it up.

Thanks though.

Ok. So i have it working but im not sure if i've done it correctly.

I had to set DNS server to [AP] 192.168.0.1
firewall:
1 lan => wan - accept accept accept and Masquerading on
2 wan => lan - accept accept accept and Masquerading on

Thanks.

Use ssh to connect to the device.

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
ls -l  /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
1 Like

If you do it with the "join network" button, the newly created wwan interface needs to be in the wan firewall zone for forwarding to the Internet to work. I thought that was automatic, but I don't use that join button since what it does in creating an extra network is unnecessary complication.

I usually remove the Ethernet port from the existing wan network and substitute the wifi client. Everything else is default configuration. So what I do for a routed client to get Internet from the neighbors would be:

Start with default configuration.
Go to the wifi page edit the default interface-- change mode to STA, configure SSID and encryption, and set network to "wan".
Go to the network interfaces page and edit wan make sure the "bridge" box is not checked and the attached interface is the wifi STA.
This should now work, assuming the LAN and WAN IP ranges don't overlap. It appears your upstream network is 192.168.0.X, so this will work OK with the default LAN of 192.168.1.X.

fwiw, is this a Broadcom device, in which case you may have wifi problems ?

Are you trying to configure openwrt router in client mode?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/connect_client_wifi

I don't think relay bridge will work with Broadcom devices, but I could be wrong
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

RT-AC1750 may be a rebadged RT-AC66U. Try DDWRT or Tomato for better Broadcom support. (I know wireless bridge mode works great in Tomato)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.