Bandwidth on CoovaChilli Services

Hi, Everybody,
Currently, I'm using a Modem TP-Link Archer C7 and Bandwidth is 150Mbps. After I installed Coovachilli services, the problem is that the bandwidth is limited to only 30-40Mbps.
Help me, Please!

Kind of strange. I use wifidog (similar features as coova), i haven't seen any bandwidth degradation.
Are you measuring over WiFi or lan cable?
Are results consistent across multiple tests?

I try tests over both wifi and lan cable. However, the same results multiple tests. it's only 30-40Mbps.

You always have bandwidth penalty because of chilli using tun interface, which stresses CPU
for transfere of data. There is a kernel module supposed to improve thruput of chilli, but real Black Magic to setup. As chilli is much more sophisticated than wifidog, you might switch, in case you do not need the top features of chilli.

1 Like

This means that the bandwidth through coovachilli depends on the cpu of the device??

No. coova passes all data from/to (wifi) clients via tun interface. Also, but not only, to throttle download speed, if required. But this passing of data costs CPU cycles. Which limits bandwidth.

Chilli passes all of the client's packets through userspace in order to monitor it and if configured, intentionally limit the bandwidth. That takes CPU power.

Without chilli, the packets go much more directly from the wifi driver to the ethernet driver in the kernel. This has been optimized to be fast.

You can run top while heavy traffic is occurring to see if the chilli process is indeed taking all the CPU.

1 Like

It means that the bandwidth through coova is sufficient. However, depending on the processor speed of the device?

Currently, Bandwidth is not limited. But when passing through Coovachilli, bandwidth is limited. I think the CPU is not strong enough to handle.

The weak part of the C7 is its single core MIPS processor. It is a good machine within its price class, but really isn't suitable for applications with >100 Mb ISP speeds.

When I keep the C7 at firmware stock with ISP ~ 500Mbps speed through wifi still reach up to 450Mbps. But convert to firmware lede with coova it's only 30-40Mbps. Maybe Coova on lede need hardware stronger.

Maybe Coova on lede need hardware stronger.< When using coova-chilli, independent upon hardware, you always have lower thuput than without using coova.

Ok! I just tried Linksys WRT1900ACS. Bandwidth input and output through coova-chilli. Bandwidth is almost unchanged.
=> The bandwidth through coova-chilli depends a lot on the hardware of the device.

Hi all,

I have been facing the exact same issue. My hardware is using qca9531 chip but when I transfer a large file it downloads at 20-25mbps. and the CPU tops to around 92%... I have even installed the kernel module xt_coova.ko but nothing has changed. in the firewall of LEDE trunk there is an option like "flow_offloading" I enabled to see if it changes anything but nothing so far...
please suggest what could be done? should I change the kernel version to 4.9. will it make a difference?

Thanks!

Coova pulls every packet out of the kernel, inspects it as a user process, then puts it back into the kernel. It's not going to be efficient on CPU usage.

1 Like

thats the whole point of xt_coova that it wont pull the packets out of the kernel for the authenticated clients and do a NAT to the unauthenticated clients.

Respect, that you got xt_coova working. So you do not have tun-interface any more, correct ?
I used standard chilli very often, never dared xt_coova, as there are quite a few iptables "tricks" to use, to get it up and running.

Hi Can you help me a bit with xt_coova. Currently I find that after xt_coova is added to build and flashed this where i am stuck.

Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.info chilli[9574]: CoovaChilli 1.6. Copyright 2002-2005 Mondru AB. Licensed under GPL. Copyright 2006-2012 David Bird (Coova Technologies). Licensed under GPL. See http://coova.github.io/ for details.
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: chilli[9574]: PID 9574 rereading binary file /var/run/chilli.9574.cfg.bin
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: chilli[9574]: PID 9574 reloaded binary options file
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.info chilli[9574]: TX queue length set to 100
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 kern.info kernel: [ 1126.419073] device br-lan entered promiscuous mode
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: No such file or directory: could not open /proc/net/coova/chilli
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'coova' is disabled
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'coova' is enabled
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'coova' is setting up now
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'coova' is now up
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'tun0' link is up
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'coova' has link connectivity
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: iptables v1.8.8 (nf_tables): Couldn't load match `coova':No such file or directory
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]:
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: iptables v1.8.8 (nf_tables): Couldn't load match `coova':No such file or directory
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]:
Thu Sep  7 13:18:18 2023 daemon.err chilli[9574]: Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

lsmod output ->
xt_coova 6258 0

"cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches" output has 'coova'

What can be the problem?

Any help will be really great.

Thanks in advance.

as you've been told multiple times in the past, old, unsupported, and abandoned software.

stop flogging that dead horse, and move on.

1 Like

HI @frollic , @khmtambi was able to make it work with xt_coova. I thought if he comes across this post ... he might reply. I understand its dead but still the old configs can apply and might work . Let the people help me out if possible.

If things work out ... i might put up working configs & version numbers. This might help people who are seeking this. Despite we do not have a alternate to coova chilli.

Thanks.