Bandwidth control for LEDE similar to the tplink firmware bandwidth control?

Hello everybody, How are you! I want to install the LEDE on my wr842n v3, but I need to know something before. Is there anything similar to read as the tplink firmware bandwidth control? For me, this is fundamental, I can not be without. It's the only good thing about the tplink firmware is this bandwidth control, works perfectly, either by ip or grouping ips, so the user sets the values ​​for download and upload and the rule already starts to work. I know the gargoyle has something like that, by the way, works much better than tplink, but I really want to use lede, because it has something that I value a lot, stability. So friends, if you have any configuration or script, could you explain me how to configure? I just have not installed the lede in my router just because of the bandwidth control, since I need to configure limits per range of ips. I remember seeing a post right here in the forum of a user who configured the SQM to control the band over wifi, if it is possible, for me it would also work, as there is only one machine connected by cable, the rest is all via wifi, so For me it would be enough if the wifi was limited and the problem would be solved. Sorry for the huge text, but I must clarify these doubts before finally leaving for the lede. Thank you in advance for your attention.

I believe SQM does this pretty well.
All you need to do is set download and upload speeds to have it work as intended. It should work only on WAN port though. I'm not sure that using it on WiFi is even possible. The ath9k driver (for 2.4Ghz networks) in LEDE got improvements that make WiFi work very well even with multiple users connected at the same time.

If you want to get more from SQM in LEDE you can use this config I'm using. It's personalized for Cable Internet networks but it should work well in other types too. Don't forget to input your speed to 95% of your real speeds or 90% of advertised speeds. So if your have 60 Mb/s download, input 60000*95%=57000. The same for upload.

config queue 'eth1'
	option enabled '1'
	option interface 'eth0.2'
	option download '237500'
	option upload '19000'
	option debug_logging '0'
	option verbosity '5'
	option qdisc 'cake'
	option script 'layer_cake.qos'
	option qdisc_advanced '1'
	option squash_dscp '1'
	option squash_ingress '1'
	option ingress_ecn 'ECN'
	option egress_ecn 'NOECN'
	option qdisc_really_really_advanced '1'
	option iqdisc_opts 'nat dual-dsthost diffserv4 rtt 300ms mpu 64'
	option eqdisc_opts 'nat dual-srchost diffserv4 rtt 300ms mpu 64'
	option linklayer 'ethernet'
	option overhead '18'
	option linklayer_advanced '1'
	option tcMTU '2047'
	option tcTSIZE '128'
	option tcMPU '64'
	option linklayer_adaptation_mechanism 'cake'
3 Likes

Have a look at https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/sqm as you will learn, sqm does explicitly not offer dedicated toggles to set bandwidth per IP address, but it does allow a mode in which it tries to be fair to internal IPs, so effectively bandwidth should be distributed in a way that all active IPs get the same share. This might (or might not) be already good enough for your actual use case. Just go and test it an please report back whether it is sufficient or not. Unlike gargoyle, sqm will in all likelihood never "grow" the controls you seem to require, so if sqm's behavior (with the required configuration for per-IP-fairness*) is insufficient, you will need to look for another solution or roll your own.... (In the roll your own case you still might be able to use parts of the sqm-scripts infrastructure, but I digress).

Best Regards

*) The minimum configuration modification for that would be (thanks @r43k3n for supplying a complete well-tuned example):
option qdisc 'cake'
option script 'layer_cake.qos'
option iqdisc_opts 'nat dual-dsthost'
option eqdisc_opts 'nat dual-srchost'

1 Like

You're welcome.
I've spend a lot of time researching this and consulting it with other people, including you so it should work well.

Thanks guys for the tips. I will install the lede and use the settings posted by you. I'll run some tests and I'll brief you on the results, okay?

EDIT: I forgot to post this information, my internet link is VDSL2 40/3.