Band steering vs separate SSIDs

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from an Archer C7 to a GL-MT6000, and would like some advice on how to to best use its capabilitie. On my C7, I had it set up with" SSID" as the base 2.4G network, and then "SSID-5G" for 5GHz only devices. I also had an IoT SSID for just (you guessed it) 2.4GHz IoT stuff.

It seems that on the MT6000, I should let band steering do some of the work, so my plan was to duplicate all my desired SSIDs across radio0 and radio1. Does that make sense, or should I do something else?

Thanks for the help!

No difference, having different network names in different bands just keeps you busy steering bands, computers can do same themselves. Tip - luci-app-usteer.
Make one 2.4ghz guest ssid for iot, or ten of those at different levels of reduced security as your devices require.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. So, given that the difference between the two radios (at least according to the GUI) is one has AX/AC/N and one has AC/B/G/N, do you have any advice, or is there a best practice on how best to use them according to their different bands?

usteer does that automatically, when one bands signal is weak or significantly busy sends you to other band (11k) according to reported signal strengths (11v).

Most semi-modern clients already do a reasonable job without any active steering (so only using the same ESSID and access credentials, without anything special).

The situation might change a tad if you go beyond 3-5 APs under your control - or if you have really badly behaving (sticky) clients, but 'normally' that isn't much of a practical issue anymore.

1 Like

To me all them sooner or later drop in overcrowded 2.4ghz and steering is essential to like play youtube. But if you are in gardens you should be fine without hinted/forced steering.

I'm going to be the contrarian here and suggest keeping SSID's separated by band, and add a "2G" to the 2.4 GHz SSID names while you're at it.

A relatively weaker 5 GHz SSID can still provide much faster throughput than a stronger 2.4 GHz signal. I prefer great throughput to a "great" 2.4 GHz signal.

Manually steering clients has never kept me busy. I've never seen my IOT devices wandering around the house. They're set up one time and forgotten.

With fingers to spare, I can count on one hand the number of times per year I've had to manually tap the WiFi icon on a device to make a long range 2.4 GHz specific SSID connection.

It is fantastic experience to fix what is not broken 3 times a year.

Depends on your perspective I guess. A client picking a stronger, but slower 2.4GHz signal is broken from my perspective.

I should have noted I have an AP on each floor of our home. Within a single band, the SSID's are the same on both AP's and 802.11r fast transfer is also set up on both. Other than IOT or a few other devices that are 2.4 GHz only, 5 GHz is almost always in reach.

KVR does not do anything to transfer between 2 distinct names.

Which is why.....

Same names, same security settings and keys, etc.

Have not seen a wifi client magically roaming to different SSID while connected is well within reach.

We are both saying the same thing.

What I tried to say, but not clearly enough, is that I have two identical 5 GHZ SSID's with the same name, security, etc. on two different AP's (though I do have them on different channels to minimize interference). Devices connected to 5 GHz roam fine between the two AP's while connected to this one SSID.

Ditto with my 2.4 GHz SSID's - they too are duplicated on both AP's, and devices connected to 2.4 GHz roam fine between the two AP's. I just keep the bands separate is all.

Not really, you are micromanaging bands. Stay out of wifi7 where they can be merged together.

We are saying the same thing about roaming.

Clearly we disagree regarding separating bands on a WiFi6 Flint 2, which is fine - opinions differ.

You should probably start a new thread if you want to discuss WiFi7.

Distinct sssids is a relic of broken OEM firmwares that forbid to use same name on all bands for ideal coverage.

Don't force clients off by kicking them, but instead provide them with the right incentives to connect to the right band and AP. So 80211kv helps by providing information where to search for a better connection {the AP and channel list) and when to search (trigger roam scan). In the end leave the decision to the client (dont kick). I just dropped the 2.5 GHz transmit power all the way down and have 5 GHz to the max. This helps the stupid clients to connect to the right band.

Every thing pretty much always is best connected except a samsung soundbar stays on the 2.5GHz. But well that does not really need any speed anyway, its just for the occasion control.

1 Like

If the range advantage of 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz is not needed, then this is certainly an option. Otherwise, turning down 2.4 GHz power to help steer clients to 5 GHz defeats one of the few advantages (longer range) of 2.4 GHz over 5 GHz.

I have multiple APs for range. Also you dont want to overlap the range with a neighboring AP anyway, you need to tune the power such that the crossover point is halfway between the APs.

The reason i have the 2.4 is to allow some 2.4 only clients to connect and next to that sometimes my phone temporarily connects while walking around my house. So more opportunity to connect somewhere if the 5GHz signal is decreasing while moving away from it.

You can have like dozen different APs, one for wpa1 other for wpa2, yet another wpa2/3 with roaming and all bands all places.... Limit is like 15 typically.