First of all I would like to thank you for all the help provided to me 1 year ago when I just started my project.
My idea was to protect my 2 homes internet access with OpenWrt & if possible create a dedicated tunnel between both. So I installed:
1 Pi 4 & a USB3 to 1Gb adapter CableMatters 202013 (its a Realtek) & 1Gb internet link
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r16076-5a3562cd1d / LuCI Master git-21.060.51374-cd06e70
1 Pi 3b+ & a USB2 to 10/100Mb adapter CableMatters 202023 (its a Realtek) & 50Mb internet link
OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.044.30835-34e0d65
Everything works fine & I managed to have 2 OpenMediaVault NAS syncing. Hereafter is a config diagram:
As you can see some points still need fixing such as the current versions of OpenWrt & specifically the PI4 as it is a Snapshot version. What would be your best advice for this? I would like to avoid a full debug of everything again as my OpenWrt are now 9000km away one from another!
I have bought one extra Pi4 to be able to setup & test before actual implementation.
Considering how old the versions you are now running are, I suggest you do nothing until OpenWrt 23.0x.0 or perhaps even 23.0x.1 stable is released. The next stable release of OpenWrt is expected within a month or two.
This may be hard to avoid. One of your devices is on 19.07, which is no longer supported. The other looks like a pre 21.02 stable snapshot? In any case, it would be advisable to start from scratch when you upgrade to a current OpenWrt version, because there are likely to be incompatibilities between the configuration for your old OpenWrt versions and the current 22.03 stable, current snapshot and the upcoming 23.0x stable releases.
Do make a backup of your existing configurations. It will still be helpful to have them for configuring your devices. However, I would not recommend choosing the "keep configuration" option when upgrading to a current snapshot or stable release, or restoring them directly to a device flashed with same.
Sorry, I know this is not the advice you wanted to hear. But I think it's probably the best course of action.
My only questions have to do with location. Do you travel back and forth? Are you trying to update one side remotely? If you are trying to do one side remotely, I hope it is the side that is running on the Pi 4.
Yes I do travel back & forth... currently I am at the Pi4 Snapshot location, until mid may... so I can definitely wait until v. 23.x
I will be able to update one site first (the current one) and then travel to the other. I could try a fresh install on the spare Pi4 I have and try to restore the config data. I just need to find how to backup all the config files (including all the wireguard config) use this as a start point. I'll keep you posted on the result!