Automatic switching between LAN and WiFi

I have a modem and router with WiFi downstairs and one upstairs. The internet connection is downstairs.
There is a LAN cable in between them running on the side of the building. The router upstairs is just acting as a switch and a mesh access point. Unfortunately the connection via LAN cable can drop in certain conditions due to interference.
I want my OpenWrt router upstairs to connect to the other router via LAN and automatically switch to WiFi if there is a connection problem or the speed is better that way.
Since I'm new to OpenWrt I don't have a clue how to do this and was hoping I could get some help here.
I couldn't find not much information about this kind of thing online.
I have a FRITZ!Box 7362 SL running OpenWrt 19.07.2

Welcome. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you should be able to connect them using both LAN and WDS and let them utilise whatever connection is working.

The documentation already covers WDS. So if you just follow that (provided that both your routers support WDS and are running OpenWrt) and then add the cable (LAN to LAN), that should be it, I hope.

I am not sure what that is, unless maybe the cable is running along a power cable?

You can still try what you want to achieve, but if I were you and I have a cable in place, I would look into fixing that issue.

1 Like

I have not tried this, but I believe you need to enable the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) on the lan interface.

I did a quick test by connecting my Archer C7 to main BTHH5A using both WDS and Ethernet cable, and alternately disconnecting each of them (to disconnect the WDS I had to disable it as I wasn't prepared to walk around with the router with a long Ethernet cable until it goes outside WiFi range). It seems to work without STP.

I don't know much about STP to be honest, but to me there isn't a tree here; they are just two devices with 1 IP each.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.