Automate 4/32 Warning?

Is there a way to automate the insertion of a 4/32 warning box on device pages where one or more of the currently available model(s) fall into this category?

It seems that many of the device pages I visit for these under-resourced devices don't have the warning and people are purchasing them based on the stated support for OpenWrt, perhaps without realizing that they really aren't good choices.

2 Likes

Can we also get an automated bot to respond to requests for help with devices under 8/64 by listing a selection of current devices, prices, and the maximum bandwidth they are recommended for :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately there's no such automatism available, the 4/32 warning needs to be added manually to the devicepages. We have the 4/32 warning already on the dataentry pages, but since not everybody is aware of those, it seems to be a good idea to implement them on the devicepages too.

Overview of possibly affected devices + devicepages

=> approx. 260 devicepages where the 432 warning needs to be added.
=> approx. 4h (@1page/min) + 1 sixpack on a cold January weekend :wink:

Many hands, quicker end? (read: Any volunteers for this task?)

Note: Sixpack to be supplied by yourself.

1 Like

Prices are fluctuating. Impossible to keep up with them for such a broad range of devices.

Need to come back to this topic:

I have been thinking about adding performance numbers to the dataentries, since that's what users are looking for. But that's a different topic (that certainly needs attention).

When do we start warning prospective users/buyers that 8/64 devices aren't good choices, especially with 16/128 devices inexpensively and widely available?

I LOLed and imagined this read in a really really fast voice.

2 Likes

Prices also have huge regional variances, in particular between north america and europe, e.g. linksys is much cheaper in the US than in europe - this is inverted for other vendors.

Obviously if it's supposed to be a bot it could look up up to date regional prices online. :wink: Of course it was mostly a fascetious suggestion. Mostly

Done, 432_warning added to the affected devicepages.

Hmpf... nobody brought me anything like that. :frowning:

4 Likes