Attached wifi devices connect to Internet but not the router

I have followed the instructions for creating an image from Pulpstone-OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi 3B+(here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pazd8m1SyU) and it seems to be starting to work.

I have got to the stage where:

• The router is using DHCP to connect to my normal LAN
  • Devices attached to the WLAN of the R Pi can reach the Internet

However, I am finding that the router itself doesn't seem to be able to reach the Internet. By that I mean that if I use ssh to log onto the server:

• if I attempt to 'opkg update' it fails
  • if I ping 8.8.8.8 it fails with 'ping: sendto: Network unreachable'
  • but if I 'ping 192.168.1.1' (which is the address of the router that the R Pi is attached to) it works.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

Kitty

What is the output of:
ip -4 addr; ip -4 ro; ip -4 ru; ls -l /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
Please use preformatted text when pasting console output (the </> button)

ip -4 addr; ip -4 ro; ip -4 ru; ls -l /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*; head -n -0 /etc/resolv.* /tmp/resolv.*
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN qlen 1
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
4: br-lan: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.1.69/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global br-lan
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
192.168.1.0/24 dev br-lan scope link  src 192.168.1.69
0:      from all lookup local
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup default
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            16 Feb 20  2019 /etc/resolv.conf -> /tmp/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            32 Dec 17 17:01 /tmp/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            65 Dec 17 07:04 /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
==> /etc/resolv.conf <==
search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1

==> /tmp/resolv.conf <==
search lan
nameserver 127.0.0.1

==> /tmp/resolv.conf.auto <==
# Interface lan
nameserver 213.120.234.6
nameserver 194.74.65.68

For some reason the default route is not installed.
What is the lan configuration?
uci export network

1 Like

Thanks for your help with this Trendy. I decided to make an image of the microSD card before doing anything else which meant shutting the R Pi down. Having made the copy I then re-started the Pi but couldn't make contact with it except by SSH - the most likely cause being a network issue. I therefore went through the process of getting back to the original Pulpstone image and when I did this I could see the Internet from the R Pi as well as attached devices. I therefore think I must have screwed up somewhere!

Anyway, this gets me one step further on. The reason I needed to access the Internet in the first place was to install enc28j60 so that I could run a second Ethernet port but now I can't get that working for some reason so I guess I had better start a new thread for that question!

Many thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.