Assign IPv6 Address to WAN interface

I am connected to my ISP via PPPoE and receive a /48 IPv6 prefix. I have 3 different networks, which all receive a /64 subnet from the aforementioned prefix. This all works fine, and all 3 networks have IPv6 connectivity. One of these 3 networks is a wireguard tunnel running on my router.

To do my part in getting the internet transitioned to IPv6, I would like to use IPv6 to set up the actual tunnel as well. Currently, the tunnel is set up by devices that connect to my public IPv4 address of the WAN interface of the router. I'd like to add a IPv6 address to this interface, so I can also connect to this public address instead of its IPv4 address.

My question is: How do I assign an IPv6 address to the WAN interface? In Luci's interface and via the terminal (ifconfig) I can only find the /48 prefix and a link local address on the WAN interface. There doesn't seem to be a publicly routable /128 address assigned to it that I can reach from the outside world. Is there an easy way to assign one from the /48 prefix?

Thank you very much in advance!

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
ip -6 addr ; ip -6 ro li tab all ; ip -6 ru; \

I managed to find out how to tackle this problem. The upstream WAN interface is only supposed to receive a prefix, and no /128 address. In order to reach the router from the outside world, you simply use the publicly routable address of one of the downstream interfaces, such as LAN. In my case, the LAN interface of the router itself is reachable on the address:

xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1 where the X's denote the prefix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.