Askey RT4230W REV6 / RAC2V1K - 2.4GHz radio stop working 22.03.0

Hi,
I have been using rc6 on this mentioned router and now moved into stable release however unable to use it due to not correctly functioning WiFi.

This device got 2x Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984
One showing as
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11nac
other
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11bgn

The problem is with 802.11bgn which is 2.4GHz.
The radio is working, devices can connect but shortly after all is dropped and radio is not working. Rebooting device resulting it to appear not as:
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11bgn
anymore, but
Generic 802.11bgn
and the 2.4GHz is not working.
Interesting is that restoring firmware, reflashing do not help.

I tried installing different ath10... -ct-full-htt but without luck.

Sometimes, randomly it will come back as Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11bgn but mostly sticking on Generic 802.11bgn

When it is on Generic 802.11bgn, when you got to Edit your wifi settings, in Advances settings in Country Code you don't have a dropdown box, just a box to type, when on other wifi is a dropdown box.

When I reflash 22.03.0 than the radio 2.4GHz in Wifi is not showing at all.

I had the same issue for my RT4230W Rev 6 as well. Turns out that the heatsink for the WiFi chip is not mounted properly or maybe due to age, contact got bad. I replaced the thermal pads and it seems to solve the issue.

You will likely notice that when you boot up your RT4230W when it's cold, the 2.4 WiFi will work, but after a while, it disappears. If you turn off the power and let it cool down, it will come back?

1 Like

Looks like that may be the case.
Will need to open the case and check.

Do you replace heat pads that are between wireless cards and motherboard or you remove wireless card and than heat sinks and thermal between them?

This one?

I replaced all the thermal pads. Just a habit of mine.

Edit: Just for insurance, I also bought a fan to blow air into the device to cool it down further.

Thanks, I will replace this two for now and see if that improve anything

ps. once open it I noticed that mine is Revision 9 (Askey RT4230W REV9).

1 Like

Have replaced both thermal pads under the radiators (for whom interested they are 1mm thick) and also the one that was on motherboard (this is 2mm thick) and wifi now seams stable. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.