Askey RAC2V1K / RT4230W REV6 Support

No. His build has a separate build number so the packages that rely on a specific build like kernel modules won't work. If you want to use my build with his Wi-Fi files, you'll have to extract the calibration files (/lib/firmware) from his build and put it in mine.

This is to document an experience that I had when I replaced my Tp-link EAP245 V1 access point with an Askey RT4230W REV6 / RAC2V1K running Openwrt as an access point.

After replacing the EAP245 with the RAC2V1K, it became clear that two Raspberry Pi4s running Moode (https://moodeaudio.org/) couldn't connect to the access point. Looking at the logs in the RAC2V1K, the failure seemed to be from many errors with AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH. So, I upgraded Moode to see if that would fix it. It didn't.

After much more research, I came upon a post suggesting to downgrade the firmware-brcm80211 package on the Rpi4.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=269390&p=1635288#p1635288

After doing that, the problem was resolved. Interestingly, I didn't have a problem with the firmware with the EAP245. So, it seems to me that there's some kind of disagreement between the recent Broadcom firmware and the wifi in the RAC2V1K. Anyway, I thought I'd mention this.

Thanks for sharing that feedback. Can you test with the images with the improved WiFi performance, linked to in this post below, and tell us if you still have the issue?

I can do that, but I'd rather not flash the whole image. I've copied out the /lib/firmware subdirectories from those images. Can you tell me exactly what files from those subdirectories I need to replace? I'd like to replace only what is required. And do you think that board calibration might cause such an issue?

You can try out the initramfs images, in the same folder. They will load only in memory and do not need flashing the router.

You need to replace this file - /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0/board-2.bin

It is a possibility. The other possibility is that it could be a firmware/driver issue.

There are two firmware/drivers available - the images that @lmore377 and I have posted use the firmware/driver from Candela, which is the default firmware/driver recommended by OpenWrt. There is another firmware/driver available from Qualcomm. If the improved WiFi calibration does not resolve your issue, let me know, and I can post an image with Qualcomm firmware/driver for you to test.

I reverted the firmware on the Rpi4, which brought the problem back. Then I tested each of your board-2.bin files in turn. Neither one changed anything. There were several cycles of these messages.

Tue Apr  6 17:37:57 2021 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Tue Apr  6 17:37:57 2021 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 7)
Tue Apr  6 17:37:57 2021 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d
Tue Apr  6 17:37:58 2021 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d
Tue Apr  6 17:37:59 2021 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d
Tue Apr  6 17:38:00 2021 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d
Tue Apr  6 17:38:06 2021 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:a6:32:5f:d2:2d IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request

I did notice that the original board-2.bin file was much larger than the new ones, although I didn't have any trouble with them. I hope this helps.

And if you want me to try a different driver, could I have a package that I can install on my current firmware? Thanks.

@StephenR0 I have a Pi 4 so look into it. I've had the same issue before (but I can't remember if it was this router on the stock firmware or a different router) so it should be something simple hopefully.

Since I have the opkg repo up, we should be able to test the Qualcomm firmware and driver without completely recompiling everything. Just make sure you edited the distfeeds.conf file.

So, to be clear, I should replace the original board-2.bin in the /lib/firmware directory. Then I should uninstall the kmod-ath10k-ct package. And finally, install the kmod-ath10k package. Is that about it?

And if you want to see the problem for yourself, Moode is very easy to install if you have a spare sdcard. It comes up as an access point where you configure it for your network.

Yup that's it

That all went off without problems. Wifi is functional after a reboot. But the problem with the Rpi4 with the more recent firmware is still there.

I tried it on 2.4ghz and 5ghz and a Pi3 and Pi4 with the latest moode image and it all worked fine. I even tried wpa2/wpa3 mixed and it still worked. Does it just happen with moode or does it happen across other distros?

I'm using 5ghz with wpa2/wpa3 mixed. I can't say that I've got that many Pis. But this happens with both Rpi4s that I have running Moode. Now they are both quite close to the access point, something like 3-4 ft. Maybe I should try lowering the transmit power.

Try just plain wpa2 to see if wpa3 is the culprit

I tried both. Neither one changed anything.

I just tried it with my other Rpi4 and it reverted to the same behavior on that one, too.

Figured it out. Someone mentioned here that the issue was that there were spaces in the name so I put a space and I started getting the same errors. If you need to keep the spaces, you can just add a virtual ap with a different name (You can even make it hidden if you want to keep the wifi settings page on other devices clean).

Are you referring to spaces in the SSID? I don't have spaces, but I do have a dash.

That doesn't seem to be my problem. I changed the SSID to remove the dash, reconfigured one of Rpi4s and that didn't change anything. I'll probably play around with it some more.

I acquired another RAC2V1K. Externally, this one appeared the same as the first one, made in Taiwan and Factory ID:3. I proceeded to install Openwrt like I did the last one. Everything appeared to go like before, but it wouldn't boot. After taking it apart and setting up the serial console, it was clear from the uboot messages that I only have 256 MB of flash in this one. I probably could have just updated bootcmd, but went ahead and followed the steps for a SAC2V1K. Everything worked just fine. I don't know how common it is for a RAC2V1K to have only 256 MB of flash. But it might be a good idea to update the installation instructions to include a check of the flash size to get the right bootcmd. Just thought I'd mention my experience.

1 Like