Archer C7 v5 - back to OEM (from Luci openwrt 19.07.3) via Webinterface

Hi there!

As I want to return to OEM-Firmware on my Archer C7 v5 - which has now Luci openwrt 19.07.3 (OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.178.63701-ce35d08), I tried to "update" via Luci Webinterface (System - Backup/Flash Firmware - Flash Image).

I have downloaded the newest firmware from tp-link, which gave me Archer C7(EU)_V5 200628.zip; I extracted Archer C7(EU)_V5 200628.bin and tried to flash this file.
It gets uploaded and then Luci tells me that "the uploaded file does not contain a supported format" - pls see attached screenshot.
screenshot_error_openwrt

I am very afraid of bricking the Router and my family will kill me if I do so :slight_smile:

Is this normal and can I savely check "force upgrade" and press "continue"?
Do you know that this bin-file will savely work with the TFTP-method?
Or do I have to use a specific (old) firmware version from tp-link?
Or would it work via SSH and sysupgrade?
Did anyone ever did a downgrade to OEM successfully with the Luci webinterface?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

push
Is there any special reason why nobody answers my questions?

Probably because the answer is available by searching the OpenWrt website:

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750

Thanks for your reply!
Surely I have read this (and many other postings) before.

Do you know that the bin-file Archer C7(EU)_V5 200628.bin will savely work with the TFTP-method?
Or do I have to use a specific (old) firmware version from tp-link?

TiA

Do you know that the bin-file Archer C7(EU)_V5 200628.bin will savely work with the TFTP-method?

I don't know about that, and I don't have that router. However, I've used the method with other hardware and it worked for me.

Thanks again for your reply!

When you used the TFTP-method: did you use the OEM-image which was downloadable at this moment at the vendors homepage or did you use an old or special one?
Sorry for all the (maybe dumb) questions, but I am really afraid of bricking the router and leave my girls without internet.

I've usually used the most recent one available. Sometimes it has to be renamed, but all that information should be explained in the directions.

Curious why you are switching back to OEM, as I'm interested in doing the reverse for this router.