Archer C7 V2 reboots/crashes Randomly on 18.06.2

Hi All,

This is my first post, I have been using Lede Firmware for a while (maybe around 2 years) haven't had any issue with that firmware. Couple of days back I flashed the 18.06.2 image for my router and from then onwards I have been facing Random reboots. This happens quite often (maybe in 10 or 15 mins or sometimes it might take couple of hours). I was thinking it could be related to a bug or so mething but I wasn't able to find any crash files. The logread and dmesg also doesn't show anything useful. Any idea on how to fix this issue? I was thinking of going back to an older version, will there be any problems flashing older firmwares?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bobby Thomas

Random crashes are often due to memory exhaustion. Try ssh-ing in and capturing logread -f in a terminal window to determine the cause.

1 Like

Tried that but didn't find anything at the time of crash/reboot. Also the memory utilisation seems to be normal.

C7v2 units are, in my experience solid and just run smoothly. I’ve had mine running off master literally for years. If you’re not loading them up with application software or USB devices and there’s no evidence in the log files it may be a bad wall wart, the wrong size barrel plug for power, failing internal power supply, or other hardware failure.

1 Like

I agree, even I was running it stable for the past 2 years, since I upgraded it to 18.06.02 I have also made some changes to my network architecture I am really guessing whether this could be result of those changes. No new applications/plugins or USB devices are added or installed. I will share the details shortly but I am not sure if it is related to those changes.

Thank you,
Regards,
Bobby Thomas

Apologies for the long delay. I forgot to mention something in my previous post, I upgraded to 18.06.02 from Lede reboot 17.x version (don't remember the exact version) keeping the config after flashing. Does that cause any issues? Do I need to re-flash the firmware without keeping the config or should I do a factory reset and configure everything manually?

I still owe you a design diagram but I am tied up on multiple tasks. I will publish it as soon as it's ready.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bobby Thomas

Keeping configs between versions on some devices is known to cause issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion lleachi, so should I reflash the firmware without config or performing a factory reset will do?

Thanks and regards,
Bobby Thomas

You should be able to simply reset to defaults...being sure to save your configs for easy reference (don't forget you'll loose WiFi).

Also, per the Community Guidelines, please refrain from signing your posts.

2 Likes

Thank you lleachi and sorry for signing the posts, it's been a while since I went through the guidelines. I will make sure that doesn't happen again. I have the config backups in place. I will give it a try after reset. Do you know the default IP to access the router after factory reset, sorry I haven't done that for a long time.

1 Like

2 Likes

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I figured out cause of the random reboots, the cause seems to be related to the AP running in both Master and Client mode. I have around 4 SSIDs created (two in 2.4 and two in 5Ghz) this is for the LAN and I also have configured client mode on the AP which connects to my 4g HOTSPOT. When I have the AP running in both Master and Client mode it reboots randomly and when I remove the client mode then it's stable, so it seems like AP crashes when it's configured in both Master and client mode. Any idea how we can fix this issue?

Bobby Thomas

1 Like

I would upgrade to a snapshot and see if it has been resolved. There's over a year's worth of changes since 18.06. 19.07 is coming out in a month or so, but, at least right now, they are virtually the same (and there aren't any "preview" builds for 19.07).

1 Like

Ok then I will wait for 19.07 build. Thank you Jeff for the suggestion.

1 Like

Hey Bobbythomas,
I have the exact same issue, running the AP on both client and server mode and my Archer C7 V2 randomly restarts.
I am on version 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292.
Have you discovered any fix for this?

Regards,
Maz

1 Like

No Maz, I am still having the same issue, planning to upgrade to 19.07 shortly.

I know it's been a while since I visited this thread, so the issue still persist on the latest stable firmware (19.07.7) and this is after a fresh upgrade. Don't know what's causing the issue but the AP stays up for a while after it's configured in client and master mode but then it reboots randomly, I had to remove the client mode for this to stop. I have an alternate solution right now using a different device but if anyone know how this issue can be addressed it's highly appreciated to share that details.

Try to use non ct wifi drivers.

1 Like

Thanks catfriend. I need to try this, just now I was going through the non-ct drivers and went through some of your posts. I am also facing issues with my 2.4GHz as it sometimes stops broadcasting, it could be some issue with the CT drivers, I will test the non-CT drivers and will let you know. Any guides out there on flashing non-ct drivers or I just need to download that from software package?

1 Like

You dont need to "flash", just use opkg to remove ct and add non ct drivers. commands are on the forum topics.

1 Like