Applying Downstream SNR offset to VDSL WAN --> DOES NOT increase Downstream Speed

Hi All,

I am using my second BT Home Hub V5A, with OpenWRT, as a modem, in front of my main home Router.
The Router has a good modem - it is a Fritz!Box 7530 and I use the DECT in it, so I did not want to disrupt that functionality by flashing OpenWRT into the Fritz, though I knew it would have been possible.

Back to the OpenWRT modem - I am using this configuration as I realised that Fritz does not have an SQM, so I was experiencing bufferbloat all along my network on every device.

Everything works fine, but I have a question about the tweaks which I discovered I can apply to the DownStream SNR offset.

With the Downstream SNR offset set to 0dB, I get a good DS speed (I am on VDSL 17a profile, with a maximum of 80/20 from the ISP contract):
SNR measured by the modem for DS is 3.3dB [only 350 meters from the Exchange, apparently, according to FritzBox]
SNR measured for US is 6dB
Max Attainable Rate : 74Mbps
Data Rate received at the wall (FTTC) : 71.5MbpsBack to the OpenWRT modem
Data rate measured connecting to the LAN of the modem & using SpeedTest.net : up to 62-63 Mbps

I decided to make some tweaks to the SNR offset.

With SNR DS offset at -2dB --> DS speed remains unchanged, it seems so far / SNR measured is 1dB, I got, however some greater numbers for:
Max Attainable Rate : 81.8Mbps
Data Rate received at the wall (FTTC) : 76Mbps

Q1. Should I go back to SNR offset of 0dB?
Q2. Could I get penalised by the ISP for doing what I am doing (even though I am still achieving speeds within contract)?
Q3. Should I expect better DS speeds measured by SpeedTest at some point, if I stay on -2dB or if I go lower, even? (I know that when I first started receiving the service my SNR was adjusted gradually down from 6dB to 3dB - within the first 2 weeks, and SpeedTest took some time to measure higher speeds, so I wonder whether there is some IP caching in SpeedTest.net?)

Thanks

For question 2, in my experience in Australia, no you won't get penalised. However, if you lower the SNR target to a point where you introduce sufficient instability or error rates on the line, the ISP equipment may automatically put you on a "stability profile" e.g. 6dB and lock it there for a period of time before auto renegotiating starts again. This would result in a slower speed until it trains back down to an appropriate level.

In my opinion 1dB isn't a lot of margin. I've always had a good balance of speed and stability around 3dB. If you've got a clean line, maybe you'll get away with it.