Anyone working on Netgear RBR850?

Is there anyone working on OpenWRT for the Netgear Orbi RBR850? I also have an unused set of the prior edition (can't recall the moniker).

I read that these units actually run a heavily modified version of OpenWRT (is that correct?).

I've observed that Netgear seems to move quickly from model-to-model, as does their active development (it seems), so having a third-party replacement firmware would be better for advanced consumers I'd think.

Thanks.

https://fccid.io/PY319200453/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-rev-Part-1-4433134

Search for ipq8074a here at the forum.

Did you get OpenWRT running on the RBR850? I have one left over from adding more access points in a 3-pack, but the router can't be used as an mesh node so I'd love to use it as an OpenWRT router.

I did search for ipq8074a but I'm not sure how to see instructions / compatibility for a chipset? Obviously worried about bricking the device if I follow the instructions for something similar and it's not compatible.

Here are the currently supported IPQ807x devices.
The 850 should be supportable, but you're the person with the device.

Thanks, I'll have a play around but I'm no hardware hacker so I'm very out of my depth. Was hoping for a generic firmware for that chipset or some instructions for creating one, but looks like those firmware version all differ significantly despite being for the same chipset.

Yup, that's the correct conclusion.

If you obtain serial access, you can probably boot an (non destructive) initramfs, but that's only the beginning of the road to getting a device supported.

You can always donate/borrow this router to OpenWrt Devs . RBR850 have additional 2.5Gbit PHY that RBS850 miss

I'd be happy to do so - where could I find out how to do this?

It's on the website https://openwrt.org/donate . I assume that new thread in "For Developers" should be sufficient

Did this unit get donated? I'd love an OpenWRT image for RB*850 series, I won the RBK850 set from a contest and while the wireless coverage and performance is far superior from what I had previously the lack of options in the Netgear UI are disappointing, an OpenWRT image would turn this device into a beast!