Android push notifications vs. adblock

Round 2 weeks I'm using adblock. Everything works well (imo). But I face a problems with push notifications (e.g Signal, Telegram, WhatApp - get no notofication) and SIP-Accounts (error on registration) I've never had before. Is it possible that the list form adblock could cause this problems?

thank U for your reply :slight_smile:
greetings

Yes it could, especially if they start to work if you disconnect from your local LAN, and use the mobile network.

I'll try it. I'll disconnect my phone from wifi. But if it solves the problem, what can I do with adblock lists?

Not likely. I use some of those apps and adblock in the router without any problems.
Does the messages in those apps work at all or does nothing work?

I can’t even see a remote possibility that Adblock could stop the push notifications in the smartphone since they are not network traffic to begin with but instead smartphone OS functions for the apps that maybe have network traffic.
So if they don’t work the fault is in the smartphone OS or the apps itself.

If that’s the case then start by turning adblock off and use the wifi to see if anything changes.

No, I think that's different. Push notifications comes via (Google) service, not from the apps themselves.

I'll test it a few days with mobile internet instead of wifi.

It would be a good start if you would tell us which adblock lists are active at all in your setup!? Furthermore many (all?) google push services which are using the Reports API have to register their notification channels with googleapis.com ... make sure that at least services.googleapis.com is not blocked, or free the TLD for testing.

Where can I grep the lists? In DNS-Report googleapis are often NX.

I use this sources:

list adb_sources 'adaway'
    list adb_sources 'adguard'
    list adb_sources 'android_tracking'
    list adb_sources 'disconnect'
    list adb_sources 'winhelp'
    list adb_sources 'winspy'
    list adb_sources 'yoyo'

Found it ... /tmp/adb_list.*

try to surf to the domain using a browser, if it returns an DNS error, then it's blocked.
or use nslookup or ping, but make sure your DNS is used.

I grepped the list with "google" and make the result uniq ... It are 112 entries. gooleapis still 7 but none with services.googleapis.

No grep required, just use the blocklist query on the DNS-Report tab in LuCI

1 Like

I tried it. And yes, it is blocked. But the report not said NX:

2021-07-27 13:10:55 XXXXX services.googleapis.com OK

But the browser says:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL / was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

But it looks like this is no "site" to show in a browser. It don't work too without adblock.

? Sorry I can't follow. 404 just means a http error and has nothing todo with adblock at all, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

Sry too. Just wanted to say that although services.googleapis.com is not being blocked by adblock, but it still cannot be accessed.

Well yes, if a page isn't designed for generic browser access, you will (hopefully) get a 404.

But now you know it isn't adblock:ed, which was the point of the exercise.

Thank U. I'll test it a few days without wifi (in mobile internet) to make sure about it.