Allowing IPv6 on one device in my network, blocking it on all others

You should be able to advertise whatever DNS you want on LAN. It's under the interface setup. There's also a spot under ipv6 settings, to advertise v6 DNS in router advertisements

All I want now is to get normal ISP (ComCast) DNS on fire tv network, while keeping the other network with VPN, VPN DNS's, IPv6 disabled.

Netflix gives me an error "Netflix has encountered an error, Code NW-2-5" when trying to load on this network. My normal vpn network works great. With this new network everythign else loads fine, but netflix Its lke their blocking me for using custom dns, as some people say that if usig a VPN Providers dns they might assume your on a vpn as part of their detection algorithm. Although, I am not too sure if thats true or not.

I wen to add custom dns to lan, saved & applied it. Then went back to wan & wan 6 and erased dns from their and re-checked that use advertised dns from peers (Maybe I shouldn't have done this?). I had then gone into guest interface and add custom dns for comcast ( I beleive, 75.75.75.75 & 75.75.76.76). Does this even sound like I did it right? Or make a minor mistake somewhere?

I think you should be able to just leave "use custom dns servers" empty on the guest network. Also go down to the bottom of the interface page, and click the ipv6 settings tab and remove the announced dns servers there.

doing those two things, it should be that either your router itself is announced, or just the DNS from the WAN side, not sure.

I had only added dns to guest because it was using my vpn dns and i thought it may just override the others from wan but it didn't. Adding any dns or leave it blank don't make a difference. I checked ipv6 settings, and there is nothing to remove from dns servers in that section.

save config, reboot router, and then reboot the fire device

Edit: specifically, changing things on your router doesn't affect the fire device unless you reboot it (at least, maybe not until it decides to renew the DHCP lease)

hm, netflix loaded instantly much faster than when i was on vpn. But as its using ISP default dns, every device on the new fire tv network, and my main wifi networ are using ISP defaults so I have dns leak.

I can definatly tell now, that it is indeed because of the vpn dns that netflix errors out. So at least I know for sure thats the issue. I have one more idea, im going to try by adding custom dns to lan. Some reason, ts not their now.

The "leak" is not a problem for your fire I assume. It's for your LAN that you're concerned. So, put custom DNS on the LAN, giving the VPN DNS to LAN clients.

Ok, im getting closer but stll have leak. Now that i've added both vpn dns's to LAN interface, ipleak shows my newly discovered dns but still shows my ISP dns's on the lan.

And just so you know, both wan & wan6 have no custom dns's now, and the option to use advertised dns by peers is enabled for both interfaces. It seems as LAN is linked to both wan & wan6 that it picks up the dns's i've added manually in the lan interface as well as using the ones advertised by peers in wan & wan6. Is their a way to prevent lan from using any other dns's? (Blocking any 'outside' dns).

If you put custom DNS settings on the LAN and reboot your devices you will pick up the new DNS on your LAN devices and this should fix things.

DNS settings are only given to devices on your LAN at the time they get their DHCP lease so if you change things on the router, but don't reboot the lan devices, that won't be enough.

Well i've just reboot the router, as well as computer and still picks up the isp dns's

I beleive I got it properly set up now. Fire tv now displays IPv4 & IPv6 as connected and not on vpn. I do have WebRTC leak but thats a browser thing & on fire tv im not worried about protecting with it. DNS shows 10 servers. Netflix loads properly.
What i did was disable 'uncheck' use dns advertised by peers for both wan & wan6. Then manually added my vpn dns's for lan. Then I had to add ComCast's IPv4 dns's, and its IPv6 dns's in IPv6 settings of guest interface. After doing this, my computer shows im connected to vpn, ipv6 test not reachable. RTC peer connection not availible, dns servers 1 (same ip, state as IPv4 detection), and GPS is well not related but tracks me to same state as vpn because of location spoofing.
Well, i've learned a lot and took 100 paragraphs of notes in a text file in case I forget anything down the road.

Thank you for all your help :slight_smile:

You've been more helpful than paid support companies like microsoft

1 Like